Did my tank handle crack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamby66

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was cleaning my 362 and noticed a diagonal line line coming from the corner. This looks like a perfect 45deg line and it shows no sign of opening if I push/pull/ or twist on the handle in any direction.

I have a tank protector on it and it was never dropped or abused in anyway (its a very lightly used home saw) just wondering if this is a crack or maybe a molding seam i never noticed before. those of you with MS362-CMs, do you have this line as well?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20210720_221111.png
    20210720_221111.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
  • 20210720_221105.png
    20210720_221105.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
You could take a pick to it and see if it's just a scratch or if it goes deeper.
It has a ridge that you can feel with a fingernail. hoping it is a molding seam from the injection molding process but I am not sure. hoping someone else with the same saw would let me know if they have the same line.

I seen 3 other pictures of used saws that show that same "crack" but I wanted to see if it was just a common crack location (right angles are bane of stress loading) or if it was that way new and I just never noticed it. It is not affecting the operation of the saw in anyway.

I appreciate y'alls help on this so far

What age is your saw, I recall mention of the earlier ones cracking, Stihl
may have silently addressed the issue, but you can bet they won't acknowledge
there was one.
When I recently fondled an MS400 it had a very light underside to the back handle,
I could deform it very easily, saving weight may not always pay.

Back