Didier hydraulic cylinder, Didier C-26A, Model HB26M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyP

Reaction score
1/9/2022
Hello All:
Hydraulic fluid is leaking from the head of the cylinder (type H) and behind the plunger block. I want to bring it to a reputable small engine repair shop in town but I'm hoping somebody on this site can tell me, from their own experience, the cost of a new cylinder, just out of curiosity and if I have to buy a new cylinder. I personally don't want to replace seals even if a seal kit is available. I want this work done by a pro. I'm trying to recondition this splitter but I know my limitations regarding mechanical skills related to hydraulics. This project is supposed to be recreational and not infuriating. I would appreciate any thoughts regarding this repair (which I assume is routine) and what I might expect regarding cost of materials and labor if the shop charges $40.00 per hour. Thank you. Randy

With the bore and stroke of the cylinder you should be to find a replacement at surplus center or northern tool. That is a pretty cheap labor rate and if the shop is good shouldn't take more than a couple hours plus a $20 to 30 seal kit.

This is good info and advice - thanks! So maybe I'll find the bore and stroke measurements in the manual for my splitter. I'll check.

You won't find a direct replacement for that Didier cylinder anywhere - It has a round ball cast on the end that goes into the push plate - correct? Get that one fixed unless you want to do some major reworking on a new one.

1/9/2022
Hello All:
Hydraulic fluid is leaking from the head of the cylinder (type H) and behind the plunger block. I want to bring it to a reputable small engine repair shop in town but I'm hoping somebody on this site can tell me, from their own experience, the cost of a new cylinder, just out of curiosity and if I have to buy a new cylinder. I personally don't want to replace seals even if a seal kit is available. I want this work done by a pro. I'm trying to recondition this splitter but I know my limitations regarding mechanical skills related to hydraulics. This project is supposed to be recreational and not infuriating. I would appreciate any thoughts regarding this repair (which I assume is routine) and what I might expect regarding cost of materials and labor if the shop charges $40.00 per hour. Thank you. Randy
A logger guy with a BIG collapsible truck with a grapple on top recommended Blue Devil Hydraulic Stop Leak. He said it worked on his truck. Skeptical, but tried it. I'm amazed, but I have no more leak after it had been leaking at the front seal for 5+ years. Not cheap (expensive actually) but it works!

Back