didier splitter spewing hydraulic fluid and no splitting pressure -SOLVED

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldntired_55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Update on Didier log splitter... i removed the original hydraulic tank, and upgraded to a welded steel 5 gallon unit. I also found the suction hose was not very tight on pump, and much to my surprise...there was a large round "rubber gasket"... (picture below) which i assume one of the previous owners may have cut out of an old inner tube , for the cap on tank. and over time, it fell into tank, and was sucked into the pump inlet. So, the pump was starved for flow, yet had just enough to keep from burning itself up. The pressure gauge i mounted at the control valve now reads 500-1500 psi, depending on the size of log and how many knots i put on it.It's very self satisfying to purchase an old machine that doesn't work for a few dollars, add some time and a few new parts and turn it into a productive workhorse! Now it Splits with ease. thanks for all who comment with reasonable ideas and suggestions on the site.

Attachments

• home cut gasket.jpg
    home cut gasket.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • upgrade tank.jpg
    upgrade tank.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back