Diesel chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the leading small trainer planes has one with a diesel engine. With airplanes you *really* care about weight, so the power/weight ratio is comparable to gasoline engines. And most aircraft gas engines are air cooled.

Mind you an aircraft is in a different services enviornment. Aircraft engines typically run at 70-85% of max power for hours at a time. Power demand tends to not fluctuate much. A Cessna's prop spins at 2000-2500 rpm. Plus I have no idea if the tech miniturizes well. A cessna 150 has a nominal 150 hp engine in it.

Could be interesting. Aluminum block with steel liner? Alloy crank?

I did get to hold that sachs dolmar wankel style chainsaw before from a guy who collects and sells vintage saws. Wow was it cool! Never seen the diesel saw but it looks light years ahead of its time. Crazy how technical/mechanical things were in the past. Things that were done then seem like it can no longer be done today.

It's not that it can't be done but weather the scale of production /sales wood be worth while after the RD.
Who wood have thought that in say 1960 or even 1980 that we wood be running 8 axis cnc machines, or cut parts out with lasers and waterjets that required no finish machining. or scan a part in 3d and reproduce it on a printer.

I have one of the Jonsered diesel diesel saws. As Mark said they were designed.to hold propane in the handle to heat the cylinder. They also made a model that used a battery.to power a glow plug. That was much more rare.
Bill would you have any parts for the Jred diesel? I have one that is missing the recoil.
Thanks

Back