Diesel Super Split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think just about anyone who owns a SS gets aggrevated at the non highway towable axles at least once. I've managed to wear the bushings in the wheels out enough that they wobble badly going down the road behind my atv at ~20mph. I found some nice torsion stub axles from Northern tool and hubs/rims from an online trailer supply place. The torsion stub axles finally showed up today so I busted the welder out!

New parts

Time for surgery

All welded on, will toss some paint on in the morning! I widened the track width by 9" to help with it being tippy. It's still 8" narrower than the atv I normally tow it with. Axle centerline is within 1/4" of original the way it worked out.

You can't beat a torsion axle on a wood splitter. Makes them ride a whole lot nicer.
Oh yes! Standing on the front of my engine frame and bouncing, I can get about 1.5" of travel out of the torsion axle without trying very hard. I can't wait to go down a bumpy trail at more than 5-10mph :D.

One thing I'd change is I bought 7" wide rims as that's what the chart suggested for a 18x8.5 tire, but the original SS rims are 6" wide and give more of a balloon profile to the tire. With the 7" rims, the beads of the tire aren't as pulled in and protected like the original 6" wide rims were.

Ready for some action now! A nice side effect is the table height is raised about 4" so it's very close to my waist height now.

Back