Difference between MS880 And MS881

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClimberBusinessman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've heard Stihl discontinued the MS880 chainsaw for emissions-compliance reasons and replaced it with the MS881. Supposedly it has the same HP and CC's. However, the MS880 was rated to pull a 59" bar, and the new version, the MS881 is only rated for a 41" bar. Does anyone know why they de-rated it, and has anyone tried using a 881 with a 59" bar anyways? Also, are they available in your area? In my area, due to supply chain issues, the dealer ordered an MS881, and it was 8 months ago, and is already pre-sold.

I thought the 881 was m-tronics. IMO, Stihl does recommend bar lengths less then they can easily pull. I wouldn't put much stock in the 41" length being a max. The 88x are single purpose saws -- to pull long long bars. If you're not pulling a really really long bar, there are better saws to use.

I had an 880 and quickly learned it was not for me. Took me over a year to find someone to buy it. If I was a dealer, I wouldn't keep those on the showroom floor. Special Order only.

Yep, that max bar length is pretty meaningless from Stihl. I've got logging buddies out on the coast that are running 6-7' bars on 880s and 881s. They don't get pulled out very much, but are handy when falling a large 2nd growth redwood.
I thought the 881 was m-tronics. IMO, Stihl does recommend bar lengths less then they can easily pull. I wouldn't put much stock in the 41" length being a max. The 88x are single purpose saws -- to pull long long bars. If you're not pulling a really really long bar, there are better saws to use.

I had an 880 and quickly learned it was not for me. Took me over a year to find someone to buy it. If I was a dealer, I wouldn't keep those on the showroom floor. Special Order only.

I haven't looked at the 881 that much, but I think it's supposed to be stronger than the 880 was. The 880 wasn't exactly a hot rod, but they pull long bars well. I think people dog the 120cc saws because they are usually slower than a 661-sized saw when your bucking a little 24" log...that's not the point of them, they're designed to pull 50"+ bars...or to be used as mill saws.

Back