Different colors for different years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carvinmark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Years ago a guy told me about using latex paint on the ends of my lumber.I think he had some good ideas and this is one,use white for a year then blue next,ect,ect. It sure helped me keep track of dry time.

carvinmark said:
Years ago a guy told me about using latex paint ...

How many coats of paint do you apply? I know products like anchorseal work much better with just one coat but I get free leftover paint all the time. I try to do 2 or 3 coats and results are OK for me.

aggiewoodbutchr said:
How many coats of paint do you apply? I know products like anchorseal work much better with just one coat but I get free leftover paint all the time. I try to do 2 or 3 coats and results are OK for me.

I usually put two coats on. Just winging it, heck anymore I can't keep it around long enough to let it completely dry.

I use different colors for different batches. My wife likes to have me paint, and I've got a few different colors. If I need more, every hardware or paint store has a "mis-mix" pile where you can get a gallon for a dollar or two.

Yes, Anchorseal is better.

Mark

every hardware or paint store has a "mis-mix" pile where you can get a gallon for a dollar or two.

Have you tried at Wally World???? They send there mis colored back, and won't sell it.

I have NOT had good luck useing paint on the ends of boards/logs. It's does NOT seal the ends worth a darn, and i had a LOT more loss due to splitting when i used it.

Rob

aggiewoodbutchr said:

It depends on the wood. My Alder took three coats to stop sucking it in, the Maple 1 coat, and I could keep putting it on Cedar until it came out of the other end! o.k., an exaggeration.... To be fair, the cedar was very wet and the paint just wouldn't dry, so... still experimenting. One day I'll break down and buy the right stuff, but paint is free.

Lakeside53 said:
One day I'll break down and buy the right stuff, but paint is free.
yeah thats the rub here. I keep saying I'm going to buy a 5 gal bucket of Anchorseal, but I too get paint virtually free. Like Aggie says, free is good. As long as it works fairly well, and for me it seems to if I get the paint on soon after its cut, I put off dishing out the bucks for the good stuff. Not sure I have the time to color coordinate my milling years though, nice idea, but just keeping 6 different cans of paint just for milling, and keeping track of what year was which color would seem like a hassle for me. My way of keeping track of when it was milled is to use a lumber crayon hanging from my belt on a retractable lanyard. As I take the board off the log, first thing I do is I quickly mark the board. OA 5-06 would be oak cut May 2006. MA= maple, CH=cherry etc. Two letters and a quick date. Done. When you mill as much wood as I do, after stickering, re-stacking, moving piles etc, it all gets mixed, and so every board needs an ID. Doing it as it comes off the log assures every board is tagged so from then on, no matter where it ends up, I know whether it's oak or ash (they look similar at first glance) and when it was cut. Also, for special logs I want to keep track of, like a neighbors cherry tree where he wants something that was made from THAT tree from his yard, I can scribble something on the boards denoting it as his tree so I get the right wood years from now when it's ready for a Shaker side table.

I like the lumber crayon,marking the kind of wood and date.I mill mostly cedar and white or red pine so it is easy to tell the diff.I will use the crayon too.Thanks

Back