Dirty Hardwood Eats Up Square Chisel Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We burn a LOT of firewood at the Quest ranch, so I've always got my eye out for a potential "score" on good firewood. A long-time friend told me about a HUGE pile of scrap dimension hardwood. Mostly 2X4 and some 4X4. This stuff is truly 2X4 & 4X4 and not 1/2 inch smaller like today's KD dimension lumber. Anyway I had the idea to go cut it up into 16" sections for easy haulng, handling and stacking. When I got there, I realized just how much wood my friend had...probably 5 cords worth. So I started cutting. I brought my 372XP with a 24" bar. I also brought along 3 extra chains. All the chains were sharp Oregon 72LGX. Good thing I brought the extra chains. This wood was a couple of years old and had the typical amount of dirt from the environment I expected to see on it. Well, that wood just ate the chains like nothing I've ever seen. I made it through 600 board feet of wood before my last chain went dull. I brought files, but I was just too damn tired to feel like sharpening. I will be going back, but next time the 372XP will be wearing a 20" bar and semi-chisel chain...maybe even carbide! This stuff burns HOT!

JQ

Carbide will do it, it eats up junk pallets for kindling. Semi chisel may be easier though if it’s nail free wood. I tried square ground once, cuts like mad and dulls like crazy. I like full chisel. If its free Wood though, take all you can haul!

Back