Discover Channel Shows Dangerously Irresponsible Chainsaw Work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever seen wrangler stars utube channel? That guy is a disaster with a chain saw. Allegedly he was a FS approved sawyer. The stuff he has filmed himself doing. He should be looking like the offspring of rescue randy and one of the crash dummies from the , "whats holding you back?

Well having seen how lazy some hotshot crew sawyers get with a saw forest service approved doesn't mean much.

How do these people get through life who's self belief far outweighs there ability?
Unfortunately there are some people who will watch this and think it is good info and might try it, let's hope not.
My in laws are city people. They were telling me this is the greatest guy and show ever. I saw 1 episode and their just buffoons and dangerous. City people just have no clue on how life isnt what you see on tv

Years ago I tried to straighten my rear bumper (lady rear-ended my Dakota) using a cheap come-along from the hardware store. Wasn't working, so I made a cheater out of two eight foot 2 by 4s screwed together with some blocks... what could go wrong? The come-along basically crumpled into scrap metal. The 16.5 k winch I have, that is mounted on a custom bumper fabbed out of nearly 1/4 in. steel, and mounted on the F-350 I now have would probably be able to straighten a bumper, but I would never do that! The same winch tore a 12 in. diameter limb off an oak, but that is another story (I was not trying to do that -- had a block hung on it).

Heavily loading a system that has components with unknown limits is a really bad idea. Everyone has seen vids of people trying to yank a stuck vehicle out of the mud with a beefy 4 by 4, and just pulling off the bumper! Still feel guilty about returning the "defective" come-along for a replacement, but I have spent thousands at that same store since then. And it was a cheaply made tool, but could shoulda read what the load capacity was and thought about that for a bit.

Years ago I tried to straighten my rear bumper (lady rear-ended my Dakota) using a cheap come-along from the hardware store. Wasn't working, so I made a cheater out of two eight foot 2 by 4s screwed together with some blocks... what could go wrong? The come-along basically crumpled into scrap metal. The 16.5 k winch I have, that is mounted on a custom bumper fabbed out of nearly 1/4 in. steel, and mounted on the F-350 I now have would probably be able to straighten a bumper, but I would never do that! The same winch tore a 12 in. diameter limb off an oak, but that is another story (I was not trying to do that -- had a block hung on it).

Heavily loading a system that has components with unknown limits is a really bad idea. Everyone has seen vids of people trying to yank a stuck vehicle out of the mud with a beefy 4 by 4, and just pulling off the bumper! Still feel guilty about returning the "defective" come-along for a replacement, but I have spent thousands at that same store since then. And it was a cheaply made tool, but could shoulda read what the load capacity was and thought about that for a bit.
There's a poem by Kipling which contains the line "We only of Creation (0h, luckier bridge and rail) Abide the twin damnation— To fail and know we fail."

Also that of having things snap and whack our head off... one of my earlier memories of my Dad trying to pull a huge rock out of the pasture, with our old International Travel-All, and having the 1" chain snap and send a link whizzing past my head. That'll get your attention, even at 11.

There's a poem by Kipling which contains the line "We only of Creation (0h, luckier bridge and rail) Abide the twin damnation— To fail and know we fail."

Also that of having things snap and whack our head off... one of my earlier memories of my Dad trying to pull a huge rock out of the pasture, with our old International Travel-All, and having the 1" chain snap and send a link whizzing past my head. That'll get your attention, even at 11.

Cricket, you get bonus points for quoting Kipling! I had a similar near-death experience with a broken chain, in my youth. Truly something to remember, if you manage to survive!

Digging up an old thread I realize, but this is what I noticed about the people on "Port Protection" too. Even when they are supposedly teaching someone new to chainsaws, felling, etc how to do it, not a piece of safety equipment in site.
I’ll quote my Dad here, and he was probably the most safety oriented person I ever met, “ Do as I say, Not as I do.” Safety 101 for new hires. Always look up. Never walk under a tree when the climber is running his saw. Never walk under a tree after the climber shuts his saw off. Climbers are human, sometimes the drop stuff, like their chainsaw. If you saw Dad walk under a tree and it didn’t look like he was looking up, you didn’t look at him close enough. If you called him on it, you got the, Do as I say quote. With the old, “ So, if I walk off a cliff, you’re gonna follow me?”

We’ll gut the hearts on the large Doug fir depending on the area those ones had to be because they’d pull horribly. When using a full faced Dutchman like he did there’s a place if you want to butt to jump the stump with a snipe on the butt, swinging Dutchman is a bypass of the hinge to one side to pull a tree around when possible. You’ll see sometimes in clear cuts what looks like full faced Dutchman’s from guys releasing it from the hinge once the fall has started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A part ofevery good faller is Dutch. That one came all the way into face as can be seen by the smushed wood on the 2nd face cut. Even with the bit of dote in the hinge.
THFK1937.JPG

I watched that part of the episode and just watched the stupidity unfold. The worst part of shows like this and ax men is that people form judgments about real professionals from what they see on these shows.

One show built a remote cabin on a rock face in the piute mountains of kern County, that location was chosen because of the water source.....well, the people building this cabin had no clue that they picked a semi seasonal stream, let alone one that ran off of a cow pasture.

What's wrong with Cow flavored water?
I used spring water fromdirecrly underneath a very old corral for a few years straight. Not only did it smell like cow pee, it tasted like it, too. It's good for minerals!

What's wrong with Cow flavored water?
I used spring water fromdirecrly underneath a very old corral for a few years straight. Not only did it smell like cow pee, it tasted like it, too. It's good for minerals!
My teeth are stained from Tetracycline when I was an infant. I used a peroxide treatment that helped whiten them some. I also read that back as far as the Egyptians, they used cow urine to rinse their mouth to whiten teeth. I can tell you right now, I don't care how well it works, I aint doin it!

Back