DIY Chainsaw Scabbard

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ideally I would like a soft cover, so I could carry the saw via the bar on my shoulder. When I make one of these PVC molded scabbards, I'll experiment with gluing some fabric on. I've got heavy duty moving blankets that might get retasked to scabbard cover.

Ideally I would like a soft cover, so I could carry the saw via the bar on my shoulder. When I make one of these PVC molded scabbards, I'll experiment with gluing some fabric on. I've got heavy duty moving blankets that might get retasked to scabbard cover.
One reason I liked the fire hose was because it was softer and pretty thick, good bar protection, but like you said I’m not even sure where I would find a good length of fire hose today

One reason I liked the fire hose was because it was softer and pretty thick, good bar protection, but like you said I’m not even sure where I would find a good length of fire hose today

I know they are expensive. The ones they use to fight woodlands fires especially so. They are often repaired because they are so expensive, making them even harder to find. I'm pretty sure you have to know a fire fighter.

Talk to your local county/municipality FD. They routinely get rid of damaged / out of date fire hose. Our trail club has gotten all of our fire hose this way.

BTW, the PVC may be lighter but the fire hose has a cloth exterior and is softer. It is best cut by burning with a soldering gun and then finish with a SHARP utility knife. The heat also seals the ends of the fibers keeping them from unraveling.

For carrying on your shoulder get a bar pad for your suspenders or use a set of your chaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check with you’re local dept or Forestry station
Need 2.5” or 3”
Usually always have som laying around

Sent from my iPhone using see

You know. You're right. The fire department in my area is all volunteer and unmanned. Just a building, that I have never seen opened. I'll do a walk around, and/or call them. They also do stove pipe cleaning. For me that is once every 3 years, but I do know at least 2 of the guys.

I don't think they actually fight any fires, besides maybe a kitchen fire. I was told that for a real fire, they are told they can best help by staying out of the way. LOL!

I wanted a way to transport a saw on my trailer,, I cut some rubber matting,
There are four pieces, front, back, and two "spacers" , all rubber.
It was then bolted to the end of the trailer.

XIqwRBS.jpg

I use it with my Milwaukee electric, and my Stihl 029Super,,

4XBKI2X.jpg

The bar and chain are completely encased in rubber, with an open bottom.

Harbor Freight sells a drill powered gasket cutter set.
That gasket cutter is the only way to make holes in thick rubber,,
it will cut a "plug" of rubber out, leaving a perfect hole.
I did add a steel chain across the two top bolts, to make sure the saw did not break through the rubber, and hit the ground.
That trailer is 70 years old this year,,,,

My next project. :happybanana:

I think I have some PVC pipe under the patio deck, that I will search after the snow melts.

I've got a BIG ugly one laying in my shop.. I had the bright idea to make one out of PVC pipe years ago.. I made mine using Way to big of pipe. To thick.. IT's heavy and ugly.. In fact I don't use it anymore. I LIKE this idea EXCEPT>> I'm afraid to heat it in my house.. PVC if it burns gives off deadly gasses..That's what they told me in Fire Fighting School.. I noticed he used LOW heat..Wood starts giving off Gas at 500 Degrees Fh.. I guess as LONG as the heat is low enough it might be safe. I also didn't use the right size PVC..I had considered making one then cutting one side open to glue a piece in for a fit BUT this guy's looks good.. I also used a BUNGEE to keep mine from sliding off. It's way to big..I guess keeping the end open is probably ok.. You could get fancy and cut heat glue and make the ends pretty BUT, for what he did I'm impressed..Go guy...Good deal..

Easily found if you do a web search for used or decommissioned fire hose. We use the stuff for hydraulic hose protectors on attachments and equipment. https://www.firehosesupply.com/collections/scrap-fire-hose

I've since seen several different sizes on Ebay, of which one will work. I'm going to make the PVC scabbard this spring, and then buy the firehose to cover the hard inner shell. I've 20", 24", and a 32" scabbards to make. Possibly make mods to carry a file, scrench, etc.

Back