DIY Kindling Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKoz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My wood burning stove has a catalytic combuster that is only supposed to be exposed to wood smoke. Hence I start my fires with real small pieces of kindling. I have used a hatchet to split these pieces but I figure that in the 35 years I've done this I've long ago used up my luck and it's just a matter of time before I chop a finger. I am looking for the smallest sizes of wood to be like a wooden matchstick or maybe 1/2 a typical no. 2 pencil. One match to light a fire is my rule. I want something to keep by the stove and I split what I need from lumber or pallet scraps before each fire. The welding is sloppier than I would like but as long as I don't paint it it's good enough. It stands about 9" tall. The rings are for keeping the pieces from flying off everywhere. The rings are on a threaded rod so I can adjust the height once I figure where the wood flies from the most. The threaded rod is removable so I can sharpen the head easier. Visual parts list below
complete 2.jpgin use.jpgparts.jpg

My wood burning stove has a catalytic combuster that is only supposed to be exposed to wood smoke. Hence I start my fires with real small pieces of kindling. I have used a hatchet to split these pieces but I figure that in the 35 years I've done this I've long ago used up my luck and it's just a matter of time before I chop a finger. I am looking for the smallest sizes of wood to be like a wooden matchstick or maybe 1/2 a typical no. 2 pencil. One match to light a fire is my rule. I want something to keep by the stove and I split what I need from lumber or pallet scraps before each fire. The welding is sloppier than I would like but as long as I don't paint it it's good enough. It stands about 9" tall. The rings are for keeping the pieces from flying off everywhere. The rings are on a threaded rod so I can adjust the height once I figure where the wood flies from the most. The threaded rod is removable so I can sharpen the head easier. Visual parts list below
View attachment 1045669View attachment 1045670View attachment 1045671
I like it -- like an inverted froe. I made a batch of froes as Xmas gifts for woodburning friends and family this year...

Attachments

• 20221229_210032.jpg
    20221229_210032.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221229_205834.jpg
    20221229_205834.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back