do i need a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi all,

been a few years since i've been here. burn about 5 cords a year. currently have 2 older 346xp saws that i bought used here from nmurph. both are in rough shape at this point. one doesnt even start and the other i have to stay on the throttle non-stop or the saw shuts off. i took them to my local small engine shop about 2 years ago and the 1 was running great for a year afterwards and the other never really got fixed. i'm not sure if they knew what to do with the saws with the mods that were made. or if they just didnt know what to do with a nice pro saw.

anyway, long story short. i make pretty good money as an RN and have a small son. i value my safety over saving $. should i just go ahead and take the plunge and buy a new saw? or should i try to find another place to take a look? or should i send them to someone on here? i dont really have much small engine knowledge so i'm not really going to do much on it myself. at some point taking the saw every year or other year to the shop at $100-200 seems dumb and make more sense to just buy new.

thoughts?

what’s your budget and what size wood are you cutting? Sell the broken one as a spare or repair / parts and use that money to have the other one fixed if budget is tight! Pop the muffler off and take a pic of the piston - this will say a lot with how to proceed :) it could just be a case of adjusting the idle screw…

1. rebuild them yourself- least expensive - most effort- likely fastest method if your able to do it
2. ask in here for recommendations of someone nearish to you to take them to
3. mail them off-I can do it but it would likely take a month before they return
4. buy a brand new saw- most expensive but has that new saw smell

Where you at in PA? I live in lebanon, about 20 minutes from hershey. If your close I'd be more then happy to have a look at them for you. They are great little saws, and as long as the cylinder isn't all goofed up, don't take much to go over, and get going again.
If your springing for new the 550xp mark 2 would be a great replacement.

Sounds to me, like you don't know how to fix and don't care to learn. I'd say time for a new one. I had and recently sold a 10 yo MS290, that was still running great. Buy new and maintain it, which is easy when its new and it will last you a long long time. Whereas if you buy used you can feel overwhelmed dealing with the possible many bewildering problems.

yeah i'm way too busy to learn to repair them myself. i just buy the best quality new i can and then just maintain it by using best gas/oil and keeping them clean as i go. sean i'm actually in palmyra. so very close to lebanon. how would you like me to get in contact with you? maybe they do just need some idle work. alas i'm not a mechanic and unfortunately do not have time to become one.

the 346xp with either a 16 or 18 cuts everything i need. so i wouldnt need to go any bigger than the 50cc saw range. i guess i should wait to see what sean thinks and go from there. in the meantime i'll take a few recommendations of husky/stihl in case i need to get one (looks like they dont make the 346 anymore). thanks guys

hey jed, yeah i drive up to harrisburg and buy ethanol free fuel for all my small engines. so that wont be a part of my problem list...

the 346xp with either a 16 or 18 cuts everything i need. so i wouldnt need to go any bigger than the 50cc saw range. i guess i should wait to see what sean thinks and go from there. in the meantime i'll take a few recommendations of husky/stihl in case i need to get one (looks like they dont make the 346 anymore). thanks guys
If someone is offering to help, getting at least one of the 346's running is probably not a bad way to go. It does everything you need and they really are not that hard nor expensive to find parts for. You might even make a friend in the process. Good luck and keep us posted, maybe a few pics?

The 346 has somewhat of a cult following and there are people here who know them better than most Husqvarna factory workers that put them together, certainly worth fixing- the deciding point for you is going to be how far gone they are and the cost of repairs.
I would snap up that offer of someone within reasonable distance from you to have a look and ascertain damage and cost of repair.
In the meanwhile, in your case and if you can afford to, go buy a new 550 Mk2. Good saw and you have the warranty that comes with a new saw, not a rebuilt saw.
Then, I suspect saw 2 you currently own has an air leak (will only run full throttle) and the fact it still runs means hopefully it can be saved. Saw 1- jury is out on that one, might be was suffering the same and has leaned out for too long, damaging piston and cylinder to the point it will no longer run. Or it might just be a broken fuel line, nobody knows at this point.
But, if you can spring to buy new and have the two older 346's repaired- you have 3 good saws- one of the 346's could be sold (worth a lot more running than as a parts saw) to offset the new 550 and one kept as a backup saw and prospective hand me down to your son.
Maybe broker a deal with the guy offering to look at the 346's that once a year, maybe over winter, you drop your saws to him and he checks them over for you for preventative maintenance- probably cheaper than taking them to the shop after they have broken for repairs.

yeah i'm way too busy to learn to repair them myself. i just buy the best quality new i can and then just maintain it by using best gas/oil and keeping them clean as i go. sean i'm actually in palmyra. so very close to lebanon. how would you like me to get in contact with you? maybe they do just need some idle work. alas i'm not a mechanic and unfortunately do not have time to become one.
Send me a pm I'll give you my details. I live up on Mt Wilson so we're pretty close.
Edit, I just sent you a pm.

I'd love to have one of those 346XP saws to tinker with...

Now I'm a Husqvarna man, and I bleed Sweedish orange, but I'll throw this out there...In your situation, I would strongly consider an Echo Timberwolf. It's a 59cc saw but can be purchased for $399. A buddy of mine has a tree service and he has been buying a lot of Echo saws lately and had nothing but praise for the Echo saws.

I'd love to have one of those 346XP saws to tinker with...
Go buy a 353 and get a 346 top end and convert it, or grab a 350 and make a lightweight hybrid out of it. Don't need to start with a 346 to get or have the performance of one. Just need the right base and an oem cylinder. Fun little saws when they are set up right.

Back