do i need a new saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They run better then a 353, but not hugely better in stick trim imo. A decent port job, really wakes up the 346xp, the 353 is pretty much what it is. Different cylinder design, and peak power is achieved at a higher rpm on the 346, so stock to stock it will cut faster in the same wood. It revs quicker too. Here I guess I'll put it this way, I wouldn't put a 353 top end back on a 353 if the cylinder was junk. I'd grab an oem 346xp top end in a heart beat.

So Sean looked at my first saw today and held his “dude have you considered cleaning this thing once every 5 years” look to himself. Tuned it and handed it back to me. Said it may need some new fuel lines and something else, maybe a carb kit?

other saw on his bench for him to look at some time later. What a nice guy

So Sean looked at my first saw today and held his “dude have you considered cleaning this thing once every 5 years” look to himself. Tuned it and handed it back to me. Said it may need some new fuel lines and something else, maybe a carb kit?

other saw on his bench for him to look at some time later. What a nice guy

Great result and good on you @sean donato for helping out.
Don't worry, anyone that works on other peoples saws, or buys up old ones to rebuild is well used to seeing dirty saws- none of my own are ever as clean as the day they were built, or rebuilt, but blowing out the worst of it with compressed air once in a while helps the saw with cooling and lengthens the life of things like coils.
So, you don't need to rush out and spend money on a new saw, happy days and by the time Sean has tinkered with the other, hopefully it can be returned to you as a fit running saw and you have a back up and or one for your son in the future. Perfect.

is that best practice for between cuts? just hit it with some compressed air? how about good quarterly cleaning? hit it with some brake cleaner then blow it off?

is that best practice for between cuts? just hit it with some compressed air? how about good quarterly cleaning? hit it with some brake cleaner then blow it off?

By between cuts- you mean cutting sessions, not individual cuts?
A lot depends on what you are cutting and the debris coming off the chain.
Some species and depending on if green or semi seasoned, will leave your saw near as clean as when you started- other species or thick bark might leave you with a lot of pitch filled debris, or fine dust. A dull chain cuts a lot more fines that will coat an air filter element..... horses for courses and cleaning tactics for the session concerned. Compressed air is your friend for general clean ups.

I'm not going to bother reading the OP. When you title a thread, "Do I need a new saw", the answer is always YES.
Very silly question and silly answer. Of course Bobby is right when in doubt you some how obtain a new saw other wise what would our lives be like. New saw does not run saw quit saw is awesome whatever. Thanks

Word from Sean is #2 looks good to go. So that’s running at peak performance. Have to get saw 1 back to him now to get new lines, filter, carb done. Then I’m back to unstoppable (I never had those saws bog down when they were running good). Big thanks to the forum and mainly Sean.
Now I can wait until Black Friday until I start thinking about that 562.

sooooo the end of this story is probably just the beginning. sean got saw #2 back to me after some adjustments and cleaning. said it's running well. got a chance to run his 562 and his 590. liked both. left his house with a mind **** of is the 572 good enough or do i just want to say screw it and get the 590... so the end of this story is i didn't need a new saw thanks to this forum and mainly sean, but i'll probable end up buying a new saw thanks to this forum and sean! lol damn

sooooo the end of this story is probably just the beginning. sean got saw #2 back to me after some adjustments and cleaning. said it's running well. got a chance to run his 562 and his 590. liked both. left his house with a mind **** of is the 572 good enough or do i just want to say screw it and get the 590... so the end of this story is i didn't need a new saw thanks to this forum and mainly sean, but i'll probable end up buying a new saw thanks to this forum and sean! lol damn
CAD strikes again! :happybanana:

390xp not 590 lol.

i pitched my dilemna to sean and he offered some insight. i'll throw it out here as well. i have a need for a bigger saw for occasional bigger cutting. probably no milling. likely need a 28" bar at times. have 2 346xps with 16 and 18" bars that do nearly all of my cutting. but on occasion i could use a stronger saw/longer bar. if you had to pick 1, would you go with the 572 or the 390? i dont want to get the 72 and then regret not buying the 90. i also don't want to buy the 90 and never use it. as stated initially i'm cutting 5 cords a year, and would only need this saw occasionally - maybe 1 of every 5 trees i buck...

Back