Do I Need a Smaller Saw than 026 in the 3 Saw Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3 saw stable is:

Echo CS-340
1643176374714.png
34cc
First thing I did was take off that silly condom on the nose. Powerhead is 7.6# dry. Every year I do 2-3 days of limbing from a cage on a tractor FEL, and I end up cutting a lot of times over my head. I usually run a 14" bar but I have a 16" bar for it. It's been bullet proof and I've had it close to 20 years.

Next saw is a Dolmar PS-5100
50.4 cc, advertised at 14,500 rpm. It wears an 18" bar, and I changed the sprocket/bar so it takes the same chain size as the next bigger saw in the stable.

Last saw is a Dolmar 7900 (2009 vintage)
79cc, same advertised 14,500 rpm, I believe it weighs 12#, 6.2-6.4 hp. I added the HD air filter. I have a 24" and 32" Oregon Reduced Weight Bar for it. For the few times that I've really needed a longer bar for it, I made do with the one I have.

If Stihl still sold them here I'd probably own a 241. Regret my MS250 I bought instead. Echo doesn't sell the CS4310 here either.
A standard 026 without the heating and aluminum handle is (at the paper atleast) almost as lightweight as the ms241.
The one waiting to get on my workbench is 20 years old and probably never been cleaned, it will all come apart except the crankcase and if not necessary the cylinder, and every part will be thoroughly cleaned. Then all the rubber parts including the crank seals will be replaced and it will be good as gold for another 20 years.
If you want a new and shiny virgin pro saw there is always the Husky 543xp, or perhaps an Echo 501sx

At 5-7" and 155# I dont mind swinging a bigger saw but also smart enough not to if it is not needed.
026, 260, 261 all with 16" bars
2-10mm 044s, 1-12mm 044 and 1-G444 all with 20" bars.
355T Motorcycle pack saw for clearing dirt bike trails as it is easier to pack a top handle.

I carry a nearly 12 year old Echo cs370 to every tree. I always love having it. It gets worked hard and is reliable as the sun. I don’t guess a 50cc saw would be too much though. I do prefer using the little Echo over the 261 when I’m also carrying a 70cc or the 95cc.

Dont you think you are pushing the limits with only 3 saws in your plan :crazy:
I have a 26cc tophandle that I use a lot, a lightweight 36cc and a 50cc. I guess both myself and the trees around here are generic smaller...
Anyway, after I got my MS241cm it kinda replaces them all.

That said I have a 026 with heat and a 025 on my workbench now, and I was impressed by the low weight of that 025, I know it runs pretty good too.
But I would guess for you that are used to more weight and bigger saws the 026 fits the bill perfectly.
Anyway, after I got my MS241cm it kinda replaces them all.
Where does one find a MS241 these days? I'm going to eventually re[place my 025. Would like to do that with a MS241.

Where does one find a MS241 these days? I'm going to eventually re[place my 025. Would like to do that with a MS241.
Its a mystery to me exactly why they stop selling it in the US, perhaps its something to do with emission standards - who knows.
Perhaps aim your next vacation to Europe, over here they sell them at all the candy shops.

We may have a winner... I have actually been wanting to pick up a Milwaukee M18 battery powered chainsaw for a while. Would be nice to have something that I can use on a Sunday morning without getting the wife or neighbors all furballed up about all the racket. I also have about a dozen of the M18 tools (blower, drill, circular saw, sawzall, vacuum, grinder, impact, etc) so it would fit right in. Since it's only 14# with battery and has a 16" bar, it would be good to use for limbing, saplings, etc.
I came here to say this. I read the comments up til here, so if you've already made a decision, sorry for coming in late.

I like 50cc saws a lot. I do most of my work with 350/346s and they are the smallest gas saws I have. But I bought the m18 and I love it. It does have some drawbacks, (no AV, goofy handling, leaks bar oil, and the chain speed could be faster for limbs), but it's so damned convenient. For wood up to 12" it's really great and the quietness and lack of pull rope sure is nice.

I came here to say this. I read the comments up til here, so if you've already made a decision, sorry for coming in late.

I like 50cc saws a lot. I do most of my work with 350/346s and they are the smallest gas saws I have. But I bought the m18 and I love it. It does have some drawbacks, (no AV, goofy handling, leaks bar oil, and the chain speed could be faster for limbs), but it's so damned convenient. For wood up to 12" it's really great and the quietness and lack of pull rope sure is nice.
Thanks for the input. Real world experience is always welcome here.

My 3 saw stable is:

Echo CS-340
View attachment 959551
34cc
First thing I did was take off that silly condom on the nose. Powerhead is 7.6# dry. Every year I do 2-3 days of limbing from a cage on a tractor FEL, and I end up cutting a lot of times over my head. I usually run a 14" bar but I have a 16" bar for it. It's been bullet proof and I've had it close to 20 years.

Next saw is a Dolmar PS-5100
50.4 cc, advertised at 14,500 rpm. It wears an 18" bar, and I changed the sprocket/bar so it takes the same chain size as the next bigger saw in the stable.

Last saw is a Dolmar 7900 (2009 vintage)
79cc, same advertised 14,500 rpm, I believe it weighs 12#, 6.2-6.4 hp. I added the HD air filter. I have a 24" and 32" Oregon Reduced Weight Bar for it. For the few times that I've really needed a longer bar for it, I made do with the one I have.
Seems like a solid 3 saw plan. I’m doing the Stihl version of this + the 075.

A standard 026 without the heating and aluminum handle is (at the paper atleast) almost as lightweight as the ms241.
The one waiting to get on my workbench is 20 years old and probably never been cleaned, it will all come apart except the crankcase and if not necessary the cylinder, and every part will be thoroughly cleaned. Then all the rubber parts including the crank seals will be replaced and it will be good as gold for another 20 years.
If you want a new and shiny virgin pro saw there is always the Husky 543xp, or perhaps an Echo 501sx
Yep. My 026 is pretty basic but it does have a damn decomp. For the life of me I can’t figure out why Stihl would put a decomp on a 50cc saw!!!

Mine came from a hardcore Stihl collector in Europe (Siem T.). We did some horse trading on a batch of twin cylinder Echo’s that I had accumulated.

At 5-7" and 155# I dont mind swinging a bigger saw but also smart enough not to if it is not needed.
026, 260, 261 all with 16" bars
2-10mm 044s, 1-12mm 044 and 1-G444 all with 20" bars.
355T Motorcycle pack saw for clearing dirt bike trails as it is easier to pack a top handle.
You obviously like having backup saws. Has to be nice to be able to swap parts from one to another, too.

My 044 is the slant fin 10mm. With a muffler mod and BG delete she runs pretty damn good.

Yep. My 026 is pretty basic but it does have a damn decomp. For the life of me I can’t figure out why Stihl would put a decomp on a 50cc saw!!!

Mine came from a hardcore Stihl collector in Europe (Siem T.). We did some horse trading on a batch of twin cylinder Echo’s that I had accumulated.
Decomp is standard from 50cc and up, to Ordinary Joe it makes sense.
My 72cc goes pop with a firm hand, but if its filled with one too many drags with the choke on - nope.
Same goes with my Dolmar 5105, though it does not have a decomp.

Back