Do I Need a Smaller Saw than 026 in the 3 Saw Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in my mid-50's, active duty Army, exercise regularly, and I'm not a small guy, so I'm ok with an extra pound or two on my saws.

Thanks
I was too for a LONG time.. Just had to stop doing my finger tip push ups in May 2021 then in a few months my back got so bad I had to stop cycling. I was riding 20 miles with ease. Doing it in two hours, never more....Felt like I could ride a 100 miles with no problems.. THEN instantly my life changed. I woke up and had a crippled leg.. Pain so bad I had to use a crutch for months..I'm getting better now and working some BUT not brave enough to do what I have done in the past..I still stay as active as I can.. I went to bed a young man and woke up and old man. Ha. Ha..It happens to all of us who SURVIVE long enough.. Plenty of times I barely missed deaths invitation..If I had not been built with strong bones and body I'd be long gone..Once a small tree hit my head while I was alone in the woods operating equipment.. I was able to shut down and walk out.. Bled a lot. Got stitches, went back the same day to retrieve the equipment and almost got bitten by a Cotton Mouth laying on top of a log I was bending over..Inches from my face, he slid into the water..Luck, God or chance.. Some how I lived long enough to get old..Looking back I've had a great life..hope you can say that some day..Be blessed..

I was too for a LONG time.. Just had to stop doing my finger tip push ups in May 2021 then in a few months my back got so bad I had to stop cycling. I was riding 20 miles with ease. Doing it in two hours, never more....Felt like I could ride a 100 miles with no problems.. THEN instantly my life changed. I woke up and had a crippled leg.. Pain so bad I had to use a crutch for months..I'm getting better now and working some BUT not brave enough to do what I have done in the past..I still stay as active as I can.. I went to bed a young man and woke up and old man. Ha. Ha..It happens to all of us who SURVIVE long enough.. Plenty of times I barely missed deaths invitation..If I had not been built with strong bones and body I'd be long gone..Once a small tree hit my head while I was alone in the woods operating equipment.. I was able to shut down and walk out.. Bled a lot. Got stitches, went back the same day to retrieve the equipment and almost got bitten by a Cotton Mouth laying on top of a log I was bending over..Inches from my face, he slid into the water..Luck, God or chance.. Some how I lived long enough to get old..Looking back I've had a great life..hope you can say that some day..Be blessed..

Sounds like we have had similar experiences. Have cycled 100 miles on numerous occasions, but got out of road biking after my girlfriend was hit by a car and nearly killed on a training ride. Glad to hear you missed being bitten by a cottonmouth. I wasn't so lucky with a copperhead; he got me on my nose-picking finger and ended up in the hospital for a week.

Sounds like we have had similar experiences. Have cycled 100 miles on numerous occasions, but got out of road biking after my girlfriend was hit by a car and nearly killed on a training ride. Glad to hear you missed being bitten by a cottonmouth. I wasn't so lucky with a copperhead; he got me on my nose-picking finger and ended up in the hospital for a week.
Great story.. I LOVE cycling..I DO miss my bicycle. It's sitting there looking lonely. Sigh..I've been bitten on my arm by a ONE fanged Cotton Mouth..Just one fang.. For the first few seconds it itched like Crazy. Felt like Poison ivy all way to the bone..I had been told (incorrectly) that a Snake won't bite under water.. No one told the snake.. It was hot in the summer about 10 am and I had work to do. I poured straight bleach on the bite and squeezed the huge knot that rose up. I got a little blood out and put colgate Tooth past on the bite and kept working..I did that several times during the day and worked until I finished the job about 5am..I was young strong and head strong back then. I had a young daughter that I was baby sitting so had taken her to work with me.. That evening I had to drive 35 or 40 miles home BUT by now my neck and shoulder muscles had swelled and I could NOT turn my head either left or right..I had my daughter help me drive by telling me when it was all clear so I could go through streets. Once on the Interstate I felt capable of making it home..At home I fell in bed. My daughter said, BUT daddy you need a shower. I told her to go to her room until I was done and I removed all my clothes and went out the front door ( I live in the woods) turned the cold water faucet on and hosed off. Came inside wet could not dry off, to weak and almost passed out. I lay on my bed..My daughter knowing I had come inside pulled a chair up to my bedroom door and sat in it because she did not know what to do..I told her to leave me alone, do not open the door until I come out and DO NOT call the police or ambulance.. Twenty four hours later I woke up feeling tired but the swelling was gone and I dressed myself. My baby heard me moving about and yelled are you ok. I said, I'll be out in a moment and when I opened the door she was sitting there..I asked, "did you sit here the whole time"? she said, yes sir. I was sorry that I had caused her to worry. She was hungry and tired. I got some food our of the fridge and we sat down to eat. She then asked me a question, "Daddy WHO were all those people in your room last night"? I was shocked. I asked WHY are you asking?k she said. Because I could hear all of you all talking all night long..It was days before I told her but I had left my body and a lot of Elders had come to talk to me. We had sat in a Circle and talked.. One said, "Before you leave, XXX" and I said, yes and I did what they said and that was just before I woke up. I thought, 'Before you leave meant I was leaving my earth home BUT it turns out I was leaving the meeting..After that experience I WILL NEVER just tough out a snake bite.. When I was a boy (I was raised by mix blood native americans) I was told that when an Indian got snake bit they just lay down in one spot until they got better.. I am not sure about that but I believed it.. Next time I AM GOING to seek medical help.. That was tough.. I've met the death angel three different times in my life..I've been on 4 vision quests. long fasting etc.. Some men live. Some men live their lives to the fullest. I'm "That" guy.. smile...Thanks for sharing YOUR snake story...I've got several snake stories left but not for now.. Have a good day..

Long hiatus here, but I got entirely out of the "collecting" ie; "hoarding" chainsaw obsession & am down to only my favorite 3 saws.

I ended up keeping the 661 (my absolute favorite saw ever, I never tire of running her in hard wood) the 500i & an 881. the 881 will almost exclusively see mill, and big hard wood, the 661 is general purpose, firewood & the 500 is the main Go Gettum saw & sees most of my firewood duty, and all the limbing & trail clearing.

I ended up keeping the 661 (my absolute favorite saw ever, I never tire of running her in hard wood) the 500i & an 881. the 881 will almost exclusively see mill, and big hard wood, the 661 is general purpose, firewood & the 500 is the main Go Gettum saw & sees most of my firewood duty, and all the limbing & trail clearing.
I debated about keeping one of my smaller saws, but I am fully honest, I haven't touched anything smaller than the 500 in over a year.
I used to have a 261 that rode with me, but I found I would not bother with it & half the time would just make 2-3 cuts to get through & go grab the 500 & come back later.
vs. if I have the 500, I save myself a trip later

Also, for wiw, I am late 20's 170lbs, 6ft. I have 2 fused Lumbar vertebrae, and I can lift & move things quite fine, but I can't stoop with a short bar for more than a few cuts no matter the saw weight, it's a time-bent thing more than a saw weight thing.

I am able to use my 661 or 500i for 8 ish hours a day when cutting & felling professionally.
Either one with a 25", or 28" bar.
but I find I tire & get extremely sore with a short bar or slow saw.
The 500i with a tsmura light bar is actually slightly lighter on the same scale than my old farm boss 290 that had an 18" bar was.
With a large saw, I pretty much just keep one hand anchored to my hip & use my right thigh & hip motions to throw around the bar

So I'm whittling down my collection. Started at 100+ saws, but trying to get down to 3 or 4. Currently heating with wood and cutting 3-4 cords/year, but won't be cutting anything larger than 30" or so.

I'm thinking 3 saw plan is looking something like 50cc (026 with 16" bar and .325 or 18" and 3/8), 70cc (044 with 24" or 28" bar and 3/8), and 100+ cc (076 Super with 36" or 48" bar and .404). As you may have guessed, the 076 Super is really just to have around to scare children (and pantywaists), zombie apocalypse, etc.

I also have an 020 Super, but it's a top handle saw, and I keep it for those rare times when I'm in a tree. I know a lot of folks use theirs on the ground, but I do not.

FYI - I'm a bigger guy at 6'4" and 235# so I don't mind lugging around a heavier saw.

What's the smallest saw that you'd have in a 3 or 4 saw plan?

Thanks

Scott

MS261CM- 20” .325”
MS461R - I’ve 2, 1 with a 28” & 1 with a 32”.
MS660R/MS661R- 36/41”

I wouldn’t send the 076 packing though: there’s one here with a 60” it.

I’m 5’ 11” & 170lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Also, for wiw, I am late 20's 170lbs, 6ft. I have 2 fused Lumbar vertebrae, and I can lift & move things quite fine, but I can't stoop with a short bar for more than a few cuts no matter the saw weight, it's a time-bent thing more than a saw weight thing.

I am able to use my 661 or 500i for 8 ish hours a day when cutting & felling professionally.
Are both your 661 and 500i stock? Since getting my 500i, I havent touched my MS441 or 044 or 260. The other saw I do use a ton is my 201t, mainly because when I am having a burn pile going its easy to trim larger branches down to size with 1 hand so I can hold the branch and throw it into the fire with the other. I have a 28" hung off my 500i, was debating getting a 661 and putting a 42" on it for the rare occassion I run into that big of a tree, then use it for some random milling (all personal use), not much at all, occassionally I will want to make a shelf or cabinet and if I have a super straight tree and am bored I will bust out the alaskan mill.

Anyways, was curious if it was worth getting a 661 or if I should look to a 881...

I find the 661 is decent for occasional milling, and it pulls a 42" quite easily, but needs more breaks & feathering than the 881.
The 881 is a handful.
it's not very versatile, and it only comes out much when I am having fun & someone want's to try it, or when me or one of my friends has a really big tree down.
Or for milling.
It's over 2x the weight of the 661, and tbh, it's not that much more powerful that I would have it without the 661 or a comparable saw.
it's definitely slower than the 661 unless you are pulling a really long chain.
I don't put the 500i in the same class as these two.
I wouldn't even consider milling with the 500, or trying to pull a long bar for long cuts.

it is definitely the ferarri, the 661 is f-450 & the 881 is a one trick pony, kinda a long haul trucker & not designed to compete with either of the others

that said, the 881 is a great saw.
I wasn't expecting to use it as much as I have tbh.
I routinely pull it out for a number of jobs that either of the others could definitely handle, possibly better suited for, just because it's really fun to sling around a massive dirtbike-with-handles sometimes.
honestly it's a lot of fun from time to time to play with, and I rate the 881 as at least partly an absurd toy that is not actually "better" for very many tasks if I am honest.

Yes, my 500 & my 661 are stock. the 661 for some reason or other feels much more potent than a number of other 661's both newer & older I have used & owned.
Since getting the 500 I have not once felt any pull to pick up anything smaller, even for really little wood, or beside the chipper.
it has never felt "heavy" to me when compared to the smaller saws.
I don't find the 500 likes anything more than a 32" bar, honestly a 24-28" is a very happy place for the 500.
It has the power, and it will pull a longer bar if you are not super aggressive & the chain is sharp.
But it builds heat fast, I had the muffler cover softly glowing once after several long cuts in elm, with a sharp chain & 28" bar.
It cut fast, and easy, but scared me with how warm everything got.
I finished that tree up with the same bar & chain, but swapped to the 661.
that saw just ate, I was dogged in & still not fully cleaning up in the cut while throwing rooster's, where the 500 I had to feather in & out to keep it happy with the grabby chain.
the 500 was easily as fast as the 661, and it didn't feel boggy because every time you let up it would snap back into its powerband again.

The 881 is a "shrug & bear it with ease" kinda saw, it really doesn't seem to complain or give much fuss.
It's definitely a cooler running saw on the mill, and even on long cuts it seems to maintain a very comfortable temperature & attitude.
I really feel it's low stress big bore & can take a lot of abuse and load without feeling it so much, but it's slow.

So I'm whittling down my collection. Started at 100+ saws, but trying to get down to 3 or 4. Currently heating with wood and cutting 3-4 cords/year, but won't be cutting anything larger than 30" or so.

I'm thinking 3 saw plan is looking something like 50cc (026 with 16" bar and .325 or 18" and 3/8), 70cc (044 with 24" or 28" bar and 3/8), and 100+ cc (076 Super with 36" or 48" bar and .404). As you may have guessed, the 076 Super is really just to have around to scare children (and pantywaists), zombie apocalypse, etc.

I also have an 020 Super, but it's a top handle saw, and I keep it for those rare times when I'm in a tree. I know a lot of folks use theirs on the ground, but I do not.

FYI - I'm a bigger guy at 6'4" and 235# so I don't mind lugging around a heavier saw.

What's the smallest saw that you'd have in a 3 or 4 saw plan?

Thanks

Scott
I’d recommend you to mount the 020. It’s probably done enough work to earn it’s retirement. You could bequeath it to a museum when you go.

Latest posts

Back