Do I Need a Smaller Saw than 026 in the 3 Saw Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decomp is standard from 50cc and up, to Ordinary Joe it makes sense.
My 72cc goes pop with a firm hand, but if its filled with one too many drags with the choke on - nope.
Same goes with my Dolmar 5105, though it does not have a decomp.

50cc and up? I guess that's a modern saw thing; of the dozens of saws that I have, the 026 Pro (produced 1996-2002) is the newest. Only other saws that I have with decomp are all over 110 cc (075/076, Jonsereds 110, etc). EDIT: forgot about the Jonsereds 90. It has a decomp.

Only saw that ever gave me trouble starting without a decomp was a Stihl Contra S - 137cc. Had to pull with conviction!

Have heard a lot of good comments on the Dol-kitas here. I’m intrigued but still loyal to my creamsicles.
I'm sorry to say that Makita (that owns Dolmar) have announced that they will quit selling proper chainsaws within a year or so.
The future of Dolmar is therefore uncertain from a customer's perspective, therefore I can not recommend buying one.

50cc and up? I guess that's a modern saw thing; of the dozens of saws that I have, the 026 Pro (produced 1996-2002) is the newest. Only other saws that I have with decomp are all over 110 cc (075/076, Jonsereds 110, etc).

Only saw that ever gave me trouble starting without a decomp was a Stihl Contra S - 137cc. Had to pull with conviction!
You consider yourself "Ordinary Joe" in all your humbleness?
I didnt think hormones played such a major part when you pass 50.
30 young and still stupid yea!

You consider yourself "Ordinary Joe" in all your humbleness?
I didnt think hormones played such a major part when you pass 50.
30 young and still stupid yea!

Well, I'm not ordinary size, and I'm active duty Army, so I do stay in shape. But I'm still surprised to see a decomp on a 50cc saw.

Well, I'm not ordinary size, and I'm active duty Army, so I do stay in shape. But I'm still surprised to see a decomp on a 50cc saw.
Well not everyone is as young as you and in the shape you are in.
I do not use a decomp on any of my saws and I am probably much older than you but that is my preference.
I am not a big man either.

Well, you have to look at it from a consumers perspective. I would prefer my dolmar 5105 had a decomp - since I have removed the start assist starter cover and replaced it by the old version that makes the saw much slimmer, but it dont need it.

Well not everyone is as young as you and in the shape you are in.
I do not use a decomp on any of my saws and I am probably much older than you but that is my preference.
I am not a big man either.
I'm in my mid 50's. If this video works, it's me a year or two ago with an 090G. They were originally 106cc (same as 070), but this one is 137cc (same as regular 090).

That smoking will get to you in the later years. I used to smoke and quit when in my 30's.
I do enjoy a good cigar though.
My dad got canser at 60, I watched him get from 60 to a 100 in four years - I dont expect to get very old :hi:
Then again my mothers father smoked a pipe, he got 97.

Thats a mighty bar sir, good to know yah :surprised3:
Here is a footage of me in my realm:

Well, I was living in Texas hill country at the time, with no need for anything bigger than an 026, so while the bar was mighty, it was also useless. Ended up selling the saw, but still have the bar. I'll hang onto it in case I need to slay a monster tree with my 076 Supah.

Sorry for your loss, @t.k
Nah, sir, he had it coming. He lived a full life, was even joking about it till the very end. Its about accepting lifes realities.
Of course its difficult when that moment comes in to your life, but he made me stronger - especially in his final years.
Because he had to stop drinking, he went from this very strict and harsh man that you just did not want to disagree with, to the most understandable listening and sensible man I've ever met. Still with a sense of humor though :laugh:

For the cost the Dolmar made Makita is unbeatable. Same weight as a standard ms261 though.
Just went out to the shop to weigh some saws and the results are:
10.45 lbs - Stihl 180C w/ 14" bar
12.80 lbs. - Makita 4300F w/ 16" bar
13.95 lbs. - Stihl 026 w/ 16" bar
14.50 lbs. - Husqvarna 346XP OE w/ 18" bar
14.60 lbs. - Stihl 261C w/ 18" LW Tsumura bar

Latest posts

Back