Do I Need a Smaller Saw than 026 in the 3 Saw Plan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My biggest saw is a Husqvarna 2100cd it does not come with a decomp. I have no problem starting it.
I am 71. But not everyone at that age can still do that.
View attachment 959718
My Homelite XP1100 and XP1130 saws don't have a decomp and wear 48" bars and at 65 I can still wheel them around. This in part due to the design of the starting mechanism to pull over a 100cc engine. In comparison, my Poulan 5200 about pulls your arm off trying to turn it over, and it doesn't take long to wish it had a decomp.

My Homelite XP1100 and XP1130 saws don't have a decomp and wear 48" bars and at 65 I can still wheel them around. This in part due to the design of the starting mechanism to pull over a 100cc engine. In comparison, my Poulan 5200 about pulls your arm off trying to turn it over, and it doesn't take long to wish it had a decomp.
Yep I have a Poulan 5200 too. Also a 505 and a 475 no decomp.

Just went out to the shop to weigh some saws and the results are:
10.45 lbs - Stihl 180C w/ 14" bar
12.80 lbs. - Makita 4300F w/ 16" bar
13.95 lbs. - Stihl 026 w/ 16" bar
14.50 lbs. - Husqvarna 346XP OE w/ 18" bar
14.60 lbs. - Stihl 261C w/ 18" LW Tsumura bar

Thanks for taking the time to weigh these. Two questions - were they all full or all empty of mix and b&c oil? Also, what kind of scale do you use? I'd like to have something handy to weigh saws with and I'm not sure a bathroom scale is what I need.

Very nice! Think we're going to need to see some pictures of the big Homeys!

Thanks for taking the time to weigh these. Two questions - were they all full or all empty of mix and b&c oil? Also, what kind of scale do you use? I'd like to have something handy to weigh saws with and I'm not sure a bathroom scale is what I need.
I weight a lot of my saws. I use a postal scale that I got online. It will measure down to ounces and pounds and has good accuracy.

Used a commercial grade Mettler scale to weigh the saws, which were dry or very close to it.

You can weigh saws with a cheap spring scale. They are pretty accurate and certainly give very accurate relative weights of your lineup.

these scales are surprisingly accurate. Just hang the saw by the handle. Some scales of this style are precise, but not necessarily this model.

1643328087273.jpeg

Please explain the reason, for requiring, a scale, and determining the exact weight, of any chainsaw.

If you can get your hands on a MS241C, you wouldn’t regret it.
I’m interested in a rear handle MS200 or MS201C if I ever run across a used one that looks ok.

The MS180 is a really fun little saw too, and pretty inexpensive.

Damn 3 saw plan just morphed into about a 5 saw plan. Decided I needed (read: wanted) an 036 Pro to replace one that I ported and sold a year or two ago, so I have a minty one one the way from Colorado.

With that, my "user" saw lineup is as follows: 020 Super top handle, 026 Pro, 036 Pro, 044, 076. If I added to it, I'd prolly get a rear handle 30-40cc saw and an 064 to fill the gap between the 044 and 076...

Back