do I want a new toy or not...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so my McCulloch 320 has started to annoy me. I have a thread about its blue smoke (probably the oil pump but that's a separate thread) but it also spit its clutch nut out somewhere while i was running it and I don't know where it landed. I found the 320, so far it has only cost me time and a pair of threaded inserts, but its at the point where I need to start buying parts. I only maintain my own lot and have started doing tree work as a hobby for my dad and a couple family members with a fair bit of trees and no desire to take care themselves. so a top handle saw was attractive when i saw this one sitting in the trash, but I dont NEED one. but i really want one. so I am on the fence, and see two options that make sense to me right now:

1) fix the mcculloch, needs an oil pump and maybe a muffler, plus the clutch nut, and i think the clutch had a crack in it. not super expensive, but no longer free
2) buy a knockoff top handle, say farmertec G2500 for $170 to my door
3) just be happyy with the other 5 saws i already own, my little electric almost fills the niche of a top handle, it just doesn't last that long

I figure the farmertec/holtzfarma will be only slightly more reliable than the mcculloch after I fix it, but it should be lighter and slightly more powerful, and for only 170, thats hard to argue with. Thats based on the assumption one of my bars will fit it tho, otherwise the price tag keeps going up. I though the G2500 was the stihl clone, but turns out thats actually the G111, which is a clone of the MS020T, and at $290 that's spending actual money instead of just being a toy. plus i care more about it being 2lbs lighter, I already have plenty of mid size saws.

Buy parts saws or.... put an ad in your local or whatever. "Wanted dead or alive" mcculloch saws. You'll be surprised what shows up. Probably a few more of those 310 320 and variants and no doubt a bunch more other yellow saws from crappy modern plastic to great old 10-10s and other goody's.

You'll get your 320 parts eventually and more toys.

The farmertec stuff is a real crap shoot

Got to remember there's still millions of those little Mac's sitting around in old grandpa's shed or uncle Johnny's with the parts you need for pretty much free. Just gotta get the word out

judging by your photo i'm glad to see you are a non-biased third party... I wish the 320 slightly worked, so i could at least try it out a bit first, but it seems heavy and awkard compared to a more modern top handle, but i've never played with one, just seen them on TV.

actually I just remembered in the spring i foudn a local guy that seems to fix and trade saws, he had 2 320s for parts i was gonna try to trade some of my project saws for but I don't know if i can find his number again. Ive got about 5 project saws on the shelf now, and 5 running saws, if you're a little generous with the word running.

judging by your photo i'm glad to see you are a non-biased third party... I wish the 320 slightly worked, so i could at least try it out a bit first, but it seems heavy and awkard compared to a more modern top handle, but i've never played with one, just seen them on TV.

actually I just remembered in the spring i foudn a local guy that seems to fix and trade saws, he had 2 320s for parts i was gonna try to trade some of my project saws for but I don't know if i can find his number again. Ive got about 5 project saws on the shelf now, and 5 running saws, if you're a little generous with the word running.
There actually grunty we saws and nice n loud too. Especially compared to modern homeowner stuff. I used a mates lil stihl ms170 a while back n what gutless sack of shyte it is and could hardly pull its bar buried. The we mac is a power house in comparison

yeah this is only for home/favor use, I don't run saws for a living.

link, yeah I need a new saw, but does it need to be two new parts 320s to keep this alive, or a single amazon top handle?

Latest posts

Back