Do most chainsaws eventually leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I worked at a Toyota dealership we received a fairly new Corolla into service. The owner had tried to do an oil change. Instead they had drained the tyranny fluid and put the oil in the engine leaving the tyranny dry and overfilling the engine.

When I worked at a Toyota dealership we received a fairly new Corolla into service. The owner had tried to do an oil change. Instead they had drained the tyranny fluid and put the oil in the engine leaving the tyranny dry and overfilling the engine.
Not unheard of. Heard of some worse things happening at a quicky lube shop between shifts.

Do you stock the fiskars green saw that doesnt leak?

Everything will eventually leak from a chainsaw to the plumbing in your house. You fix the leaks when they get to a point that you can’t tolerate them anymore. Everyone has a different tolerance for leaks, some people find a drip to be intolerable. Others won’t care until it gets bad enough that the saw leaks all its gas or oil out before they can start it!

That tyranny fluid is expensive!

Generally speaking if they don't leak bar oil it is because there is none in them.

If you will loosen the oil cap before you sit them down it usually helps.
The bar oil filler generally seems to seal. Storing the saw with the bar mount pad up is something I do with the pole saws. Sometimes with the normal shaped chainsaws. Thinking about it my battery Makita ones don't leak bar oil.

If this thread is trolling for responses. I would suggest marketing a pump to pump out both bar oil and gasoline from the tanks. Perhaps two different products. The bar oil for oil leakage and the gasoline for keeping fumes down where multiple devices are stored but generally just a couple used any given day.

Thinking further. There is a battery 18 volt small vacuum/blower made by Makita. Taking the blow end to pressurize the tank with a tube to the lowest point is something I might try as most of the gasoline cap arrangements are not designed for dumping the fuel out.

Generally speaking if they don't leak bar oil it is because there is none in them.

If you will loosen the oil cap before you sit them down it usually helps.
Actually, I mean leaking from carb, fuel tank, air filter, and fuel line.

The bar oil filler generally seems to seal. Storing the saw with the bar mount pad up is something I do with the pole saws. Sometimes with the normal shaped chainsaws. Thinking about it my battery Makita ones don't leak bar oil.

If this thread is trolling for responses. I would suggest marketing a pump to pump out both bar oil and gasoline from the tanks. Perhaps two different products. The bar oil for oil leakage and the gasoline for keeping fumes down where multiple devices are stored but generally just a couple used any given day.

Thinking further. There is a battery 18 volt small vacuum/blower made by Makita. Taking the blow end to pressurize the tank with a tube to the lowest point is something I might try as most of the gasoline cap arrangements are not designed for dumping the fuel out.
Not trolling. I mean leaking from carb, fuel tank, air filter, and fuel line.

Here's the sure fired way to avoid leaks.
Drain the tanks.
Or fix the leaks.
Now all your questions have been answered and there's no reason to continue with your trolling.

Not trolling. I mean leaking from carb, fuel tank, air filter, and fuel line.
Actually not very common problem unless a fuel line is split and leaking, fuel tank is cracked, fuel cap seal is leaking, or if the inlet needle in the carburetor is leaking and lets gasoline fill the engine or leak out the carburetor.
The most common leak on saws is the bar oil, because that's just what they do.

Latest posts

Back