Do most chainsaws eventually leak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hipastore

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It seems to happen to most of the saws I've seen. They leaks from carb, air filter, fuel tank and fuel line.

Leak what and where? Bar oil? Out of the filler cap or elsewhere? Fuel? Out of the fuel cap, lines, or elsewhere? Air? Out of the impulse line, seals, or elsewhere? What are we talking about here?

Every machine made from plastic and metal with moving parts will eventually leak. Since it's not million dollar machinery, nobody will be measuring things with feeler gauges and calipers after every use making sure every component is in spec and replace items when they are not (for the most part). You run it until it leaks and then fix the problem.

If this is some strange way of driving site engagement then more carrot is needed. Give people a specific problem with pics or more diagnosis so meaningful conversation can be had. For most people on this site, my opinion is that this question is a waste of their time.

Leak what and where? Bar oil? Out of the filler cap or elsewhere? Fuel? Out of the fuel cap, lines, or elsewhere? Air? Out of the impulse line, seals, or elsewhere? What are we talking about here?

Every machine made from plastic and metal with moving parts will eventually leak. Since it's not million dollar machinery, nobody will be measuring things with feeler gauges and calipers after every use making sure every component is in spec and replace items when they are not (for the most part). You run it until it leaks and then fix the problem.

If this is some strange way of driving site engagement then more carrot is needed. Give people a specific problem with pics or more diagnosis so meaningful conversation can be had. For most people on this site, my opinion is that this question is a waste of their time.
These are the guys that make a bunch of replacement carbs and parts for all kinds of saws, trimmers, etc (you'll see the Hipa brand all over the place on Ebay). I think they are on here looking for insight on common issues, hence probably a barrier in language and the general understanding of providing sufficient context.

What he said.....

These are the guys that make a bunch of replacement carbs and parts for all kinds of saws, trimmers, etc (you'll see the Hipa brand all over the place on Ebay). I think they are on here looking for insight on common issues, hence probably a barrier in language and the general understanding of providing sufficient context.
Yep. We want to know what you guys talk about chainsaws and other lawn equipment, the common problems, and the parts. So we can improve our product and service.

Actually, Hipa sells aftermarket parts on Amazon, eBay, Walmart, Hipastore.com, and so on. And we also have B2B business.

I think “leak” can be a bit misleading. Most all saws will leave some bar oil when sitting because the chain and bar are coated and the oil just does what oil does.

Some saws will actually leak oil and there are various “fixes” but many times they simply cannot be fixed, it just is the way they are.

I keep my saws on a piece of disposable heavy cardboard so it’s not really an issue. Old cookie sheets are good for that as well as for working on saws.

Generally speaking if they don't leak bar oil it is because there is none in them.

If you will loosen the oil cap before you sit them down it usually helps.
Few do that to begin with and the other issue is temp swings. Tank gets cold and sucks air in, then heats up during the day pushing oil out the pump. Rinse, wash repeat till the tank is empty. I keep my stuff in a temp controlled environment and have about zero leakage issues.

Back