Do you have to have reverse on a grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgotwood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Jolly bench grinder from cutters choice and seems to work fine, but want to know if i need to have reverse to properly sharpen chains. I have read where some people are re-wiring and puting a 3-position switch in to achieve the reverse. Also would like to Know if anyone has one of these.

My grinder just turns one direction and it seems to do an ok job. A buddy of mine has got one that came from the factory running either direction. Don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I'm not really comfortable with the idea of grinding at me. Probably a liability for the mfr. too.

Mike

just out of curiousity do you use the grinder for a chain for a processor or just chain saw chain,and what in tarnation would reverse make it any better?
I hand file my chain saw chains ...round file and flat for the rakers but always used a grinder when i ran a timco and had to sharpen. I'm just a little curious about the reverse and what benefit there would be!

Yeah, I agree; In the off chance that the wheel would break, I would want it turning away from me.

I have got an old Belsaw grinder and the only cheap motor replacement I could find turns backwards. It grinds ok, but I am a little unconfortable with the reverse direction also. As far as performance I can't tell the difference.

:popcorn:

just out of curiousity do you use the grinder for a chain for a processor or just chain saw chain,and what in tarnation would reverse make it any better?
I hand file my chain saw chains ...round file and flat for the rakers but always used a grinder when i ran a timco and had to sharpen. I'm just a little curious about the reverse and what benefit there would be!

I use it just for chainsaw chain and as far as the reverse is concerned, i don't know if it would make any difference. I just feel like the right hand cutters are getting a bad deal-with the wheel spinning in one direction it would be the equivalent of running a file in the opposite direction when doing it by hand.

Processor- Like for fire wood,just curious.

I have got an old Belsaw grinder and the only cheap motor replacement I could find turns backwards. It grinds ok, but I am a little unconfortable with the reverse direction also. As far as performance I can't tell the difference.

:popcorn:

Turning the motor counter clockwise would really need a left hand thread for holding the stone from working loose. I'm not familiar with all of the sharpening units on the market, but I've not seen any that grinds in reverse. At the RPM electric units turn I sure wouldn't want a stone coming off. It would get real exciting in the shop. I regularly use air driven porting tools that turn 32K RPM and have cutting wheels occasionally break, very exciting.

jerry-

my Simington 450 chisel grinder can turn either way. middle is off and up or down on the switch controlls the direction of the motor. helps control the burr on the cutting edge of the tooth.

There is one theory that says chains are sharper, when sharpened 'outside in' on the tooth. As mentioned above, this method of grinding, does not leave a burr on the cutting edge of the tooth. If your grinder is fixed in one angle and the wheel only spins in one direction (such as on cheaper grinders) then you are limited to sharpening on side of your chain with an 'outside in' cut and the other side of your chain with and 'inside out' cut. The pro's say this makes a difference in the cut performance of the chain. Sooooooo. To get an 'outside in' grind on both sides of the chain, you must have a grinder with adjustable angles, OR a motor than can spin the wheel in both directions as needed; forward on one side and reverse on the other :cheers: .

I agree with NWCS. I have a Simington and they recommend the burr to the inside. For best results the motor needs to spin both directions. Besides, you don't want the sparks in your face grinding toward yourself.

i dont have a grinder

i have had my chains ground by a pro once but i have found that i can do a better job doing it slow and by hand with round files and flat files for the rakers.bill howe insane kid who can do it all:blob2: :newbie: :rockn: :ices_rofl:

Out side in!!!!

Especially with a grinder,,,, Need forwarding reversing switch :rockn: :rock: :rockn:

By hand W/round file,, just the opposite 30* angle to bar with 10* lift,, twist file with each push!!!

Last edited:
chains

I have a Jolly bench grinder from cutters choice and seems to work fine, but want to know if i need to have reverse to properly sharpen chains. I have read where some people are re-wiring and puting a 3-position switch in to achieve the reverse. Also would like to Know if anyone has one of these.

you need an efco reversible see the difference i am in s ontario also

burr on outside of cutter?????---big deal--and about three spins of the chain in wood--goodbye burr--and wont change the sharp of the cutter---

Let the wood take the burr off, duller tooth.Deburr with a fine stone after sharpening and it will stay sharp longer.

burr on outside of cutter?????---big deal--and about three spins of the chain in wood--goodbye burr--and wont change the sharp of the cutter---

Let the wood take the burr off, duller tooth.Deburr with a fine stone after sharpening and it will stay sharp longer.

Deburr with a Cratex and it will stay sharp further still. slight radius gives more strenght to yhe edge.

Rob

Deburr with a Cratex and it will stay sharp further still. slight radius gives more strenght to yhe edge.

Whats a Cratex?

511A reverse!

I wired mine up. Reverse is on the left cutters. Makes a nicer tooth.

It involves reversing the "start" winding. I can re-draw the schematic if anyone is interested. It was on the computer that expired....

-Pat

Latest posts

Back