Do You Wear Full PPE When You Cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi gents,

I’m curious as to how many of you wear full PPE when cutting? Have you ever cut yourself with or without PPE?

I was in hospital a little while ago being treated for a non saw related injury and a chap was wheeled in on a bed having cut all up his lower leg, pruning his trees up a ladder (not wearing chaps). He was in high spirits surprisingly and was smiling and joking with the paramedics.

I have always made it a priority to wear PPE, but will be the first person to admit, If I’m just starting a saw rather than cutting, I don’t.

I might remember ear plugs but that's as far as it goes usually. I do tend to wear a saw helmet with face shield and chaps when working in briars and brush. I do most of my cutting in winter while wearing heavy gloves, but not chainsaw gloves. I've only cut myself twice with the saw- once on my trigger finger reaching across the bar of an idling saw and once I grazed my kneecap with an idling saw. Oh, and I cut myself dozens of times sharpening the saw. I've scared myself badly a lot of times but I've been hurt more using much "safer" equipment like backhoes, cement mixers, drills, stationary grinders and screwdrivers.

A helmet/hardhat with muffs once saved my life, very sure I would not have survived if I had not had it on while production felling in the forest. I don`t always wear the gear , was brought up running chainsaws without any gear but today I select the gear I think I need for each situation and leave the safety dept to what is between my ears. Have never been cut by a running chainsaw but I don`t try to dissuade others from wearing complete PPE any time they are using a chainsaw.

. Oh, and I cut myself dozens of times sharpening the saw.
yeah I brushed my arm against the saw a few weeks ago, nearly healed up but it’s left a couple nice scars. I’ll add it to the list of scars all over my hands from work. I wonder if the pitch can be guessed from the spacing? :laugh: New chain

2FC585FC-374B-45BF-9370-EC102B352D2F.jpeg

Really depends if OHSA is watching the job that day...
I am not a major proponent of gear, but that said I wear chaps 60% of the time.
If I am in tree, or walking while cutting & it's wet; chaps, helmet, steel toes, face sheild, and the whole gambit.
Hot dry summer day doing firewood; birthday suit, shorts & ear protection.

Thst said, I did have chaps save my life/leg a few years back.
I was walking along the trunk limbing a large fir in the rain, and slipped off while cutting a small branch... I put a very sharp 372 going full tilt straight into the chaps on my right leg as I slipped.
Ruined the bar tip, and actually made it through the chaps, and snagged my pants, but did very little to my leg.
If I had not had the chaps that would have been a very bad day.
I also had a crane guy bobble & drop a branch onto my head in tree once.
thankfully it was small-ish & I had a helmet.

Come October I can say that I've been cutting trees for 50 yrs. I learned safe practices early on, and have never had a moving chain encounter any body part. Have never even nicked a boot. (Used to nick a boot occasionally with an ax, but never with a saw.) Around here everyone wears chaps, which is good practice that I encourage. But I don't. This work is so gear-heavy already, that it's just one more thing that I'd have to put on and take off and find room for in the deep pile of gear behind the seats of my pickup. If I ever have a close call (I established this rule for myself) I'll wear chaps from then on.

Earplugs EVERY time I fire up the saw. I already have poor hearing from tractors, combines, shotguns, and lord knows what else, so I'm very careful not to damage my hearing any more. Safety glasses--yes. Good gloves and good boots.

If I were young and/or learning saw work, I'd wear chaps every time. Cheap insurance.

I wear a helmet when falling in tight woods, but often don't feel the need.

I only wear eye protection and usually hearing protection and gloves when I'm cutting. Just got a Stihl forestry helmet with the built in ears and mesh face shield, and I really like that piece of PPE... If something can get in my eyes, it always does. Never have worn chaps. I taught myself when I first started running a saw as a teenager that the throttle on the saw is no different than the trigger on a gun. So if you're not cutting, your finger is nowhere near that throttle. That learned behavior has served me well. Been running saws for 36-37 years now I guess.

Hi gents,

I’m curious as to how many of you wear full PPE when cutting? Have you ever cut yourself with or without PPE?

I was in hospital a little while ago being treated for a non saw related injury and a chap was wheeled in on a bed having cut all up his lower leg, pruning his trees up a ladder (not wearing chaps). He was in high spirits surprisingly and was smiling and joking with the paramedics.

I have always made it a priority to wear PPE, but will be the first person to admit, If I’m just starting a saw rather than cutting, I don’t.
Every time! This includes head, eye and ear pro and chainsaw pants. Depending on time of year certain boots are worn. Haven't seen insulated chainsaw protective boots yet. If saw is entering wood, it's all on no questions about it. Gloves are on when dealing with chain.
I'm a stickler for this topic as I teach dozens of folks every year. I practice what I preach every single time and very deliberate.
I have cutting/logging gatherings throughout the year at my places. I'm blown away when people give a crap about their hearing but not their heads, eyes and especially their legs or vice versa in some other configuration. And it truly is not giving a crap bc if they did care, they would take the ten seconds it takes to put any of the gear on. Instead it's the same old attitude its not gonna happen to me this time.
So, what I tell people when they're on my property is that I have extra gear to wear if you want. A lot of my friends are in local, state, fed gov as well and are wildland firefighters or some other professional entity. At work, they wear it. At home sometimes they do or don't which bugs the hell out of me. I tell them straight up, you choose not to wear it while on my property, I WILL NOT help you if you injure yourself and had the opportunity to wear something that might've prevented it. Think they wear it after that talk?! Bet your ass they do!
I will also mention that PPE is considered the last line of defense/protection. There are many different controls (i.e. administrative, environmental etc) that should assist in the preparation of each task with proper assessment. Complacency and having the attitude you don't have to/need to wear PPE bc you've given it enough thought is absolutely ridiculous and it'll be only a matter of time til something happens. If it never does, means you got lucky. Take the extra seconds or minutes to put the stuff on. What's the rush?! I've still never heard a legitmate excuse. I don't have any sympathy for people who injure themselves on this topic and claim to "know better" and continually make poor decisions.

I wear hard hat with good peltors (brand of ear muffs) with a face screen. Safety glasses fog up bad in wet humid weather. I have a high vis vest with lots of pockets. Long sleeve over shirt and gloves. I wear falller pants with suspenders and Viking corked boots. Never felt like my motion was restricted or my gear was too much to work effectively. These guys that say chaps are annoying so I don’t wear them, sure your right but get fallers pant. Yeah there expensive who gives a f&@k it’s only money. Plus you get out of your truck with all your gear on smelling like sap saw gas and diesel at the grocery store or something the ladies like it I tell you what

Nothing further needs be said....

What+has+been+seen+cannto+be+unseen_4f2cbb_6032589.jpg

I was usually good about wearing the my helmet with the muffs and screen....hated getting crap slung at my face. Was never good about chaps. The old pair I had were too heavy, hot and a hassle. Last year I picked up a pair of Clogger chaps and pants. They are so much nicer to wear that I actually use them.

Latest posts

Back