Do You Wear Full PPE When You Cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When climbing I usually start out with safety glasses on but after 20 minutes they wind up on the back of my head because of fogging. Also can't stand ear plugs when I climb because who wants to listen to their own heartbeat when they should be concentrating? Have had a few close calls as I don't wear chainsaw pants in a tree but the rules say dont cut below your waist for a good reason. Once had my spur pad save my shin from a saw bite when doing something stupid. Now everytime I gear up there is a reminder

I pretty much always either wear a saw helmet or hardhat plus ear plugs and maybe glasses, and chaps. Thin gloves are usually part of my kit as well, but not always. I've had a few close calls with chaps, my brother's had a close call or two, and my dad has a big scar on his knee cap from rushing to finish a cut prior to him getting chaps. The offending 026 later had a tree land on it (it still ran, but not the same as before so he gave it away) and my dad said he just laughed when he saw the tree hit it.

I used to be pretty lax about it, but this year I've taken to wearing chaps and helmet (almost) any time I start a saw. Still usually too lazy to change into steel toes, though.

When I cut - yes. Boots, gloves, chaps, helmet, ear pro, and glasses with the helmet screen if I can’t get upwind while using a pole saw. Chips blowing down aren’t fun in the eyes. I only use ear pro when servicing / maintaining the saw and fire it up to test and make sure the chain is lubed for storage. Looking to get some clogger chaps soon, the stihl chaps are hot even in our winter.

My bro in law spent a lot of time as an arborist and saw some nasty stuff. One was using a saw in a bucket one handed and his arm dropped down after cutting through a limb and the saw swung around behind his leg still revving and chewed right into his calf where the chaps buckle up (no coverage). Saw the photos. Made me not be lazy getting the pole saw where before I’d cut above my head with a normal saw sometimes.

I always wear full gear as well (helmet, face shield, earmuffs, gloves and chaps). Have the buckle chaps for warmer weather, pant chaps with suspenders when it's cooler.

One item I've tried to find is upper body protection - is there such a thing? I know the chain brake is to limit damage to upper body in a kickback, but just was curious.

Totally agree with all the other safety comments. And I see the other side of the argument too, but for me it's just not worth it.

I'm the same with motorcycle gear too - full gear everytime (helmet, jacket and pants with padding/reinforced seams, boots and gloves) even in hot summer months. Cringe when I see riders in t-shirt, shorts and sneakers....

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

I never go out in the woods without a saw in the truck. And once every 3-4 years, I encounter a tree or branch in the road that needs 2 cuts so I can reach the fishing hole or get home from the fishing hole. And then I don’t put on my full set of pro grade PPE for the 2 cuts.

Otherwise, 100% of the time running a saw I use that PPE. No one predicted any accident they experienced, ever.

I always wear full gear as well (helmet, face shield, earmuffs, gloves and chaps). Have the buckle chaps for warmer weather, pant chaps with suspenders when it's cooler.

One item I've tried to find is upper body protection - is there such a thing? I know the chain brake is to limit damage to upper body in a kickback, but just was curious.

Totally agree with all the other safety comments. And I see the other side of the argument too, but for me it's just not worth it.

I'm the same with motorcycle gear too - full gear everytime (helmet, jacket and pants with padding/reinforced seams, boots and gloves) even in hot summer months. Cringe when I see riders in t-shirt, shorts and sneakers....

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
STIHL and Clogger have upper body protection. I have STIHL’s shirt with shoulder protection.

Chaps , leather gloves , ear plugs , heavy leather boots ,safety glasses and hard hat when doing overhead work
Even doing simple things now ......been hurt before with a chainsaw and don't want to go thru that again

Chaps , leather gloves , ear plugs , heavy leather boots ,safety glasses and hard hat when doing overhead work
Even doing simple things now ......been hurt before with a chainsaw and don't want to go thru that again

I have had a couple "close" calls with no PPE, both of which invloved instances out of predictability.
One I recall was my brother cutting a tree from across the road, and it decided to split, and twist under unseen stress.
He the tree take the saw with it as it pinched, and stepped back to get out of the way as fast as I have ever seen him move... somewhere along the way as the tree twisted around the rear handle got broken & the throttle mashed wide open, right by his face.
This was less all in less than a 1/4 second, and if I had noticed it twisting a tiny bit slower He would have needed plastic surgery.
For the guys who say "safe saw handling"; sure.
That's great.
It works on smooth dry ground where you have plenty of time to move things, plant every step perfectly, & get your load of firewood in.
However; we have hills, snow, mud, rain, leaves and sticks that easily cause a mishap.
I got paid by the stump for awhile, and there have been many times I am working on a slope too steep to climb, or hold position on without using my hands, feet, and knees all at once.
Often cutting with a single hand (useing the other not to slip downhill) on the 90cc saw once it was going where I wanted.
I am not often in a hurry, but It doesn't pay well to waste time.
yes, my finger is only on the trigger while cutting.
yes, I am as careful as I can be.
yes, PPE.
I still don't always wear it, but I am the first to admit that is a stupid thing to do.

Full brim hard hat, ear pro, bug eyez, long sleeve shirt, chaps, leather boots.
When I’m cutting yes, but warm up or saw checking no, just ear pro then.

There have been a few threads like this through the years, and the responses have been similar to the range of those here.

I teach chainsaws safety classes, so I “have to“ wear all the PPE: if anybody snaps a photo of me without it . . . !!!

Seriously, it becomes a reinforced habit, like seatbelts. Making it convenient also helps. Having the face screen and earmuffs attached to the helmet makes it a lot easier than tracking all 3. Boots that fit. Chaps or pants that are comfortable. Keeping gloves with your saws. Etc.

Philbert

Damn, thanks Jerry. Goodness, that is unbelievable. Pretty sure I have spoken to John back and forth on here a few times. Glad he made it out alive.
John is a tough ole bird, I was out to his place back around 2010. Have to get back out there once this Covid stuff gets fixed up enough to allow travel again. I wear PPE when in the woods, thicker the brush, thicker the gear.

Eye, ear protection, heavy pants, leather shoes, and gloves are things that are always worn.
I will be adding a face shield/helmet when working in heavy brush, I've been scratched enough wading through that mess to get to a site to know it's needed. You definitely need it when there is a danger of falling dead branches during a cut.
Gloves have already saved me from getting the tip of a finger chewed up, but I still seem to get my share of nicks from a nice sharp full chisel chain no matter how careful I am around a non running saw and how well I use a bar guard.
Not really ppe, but keeping that bar guard on the saw is also a good idea if there are a lot of things to trip you up while walking between sites with the saw turned off, the last thing you want is to have that nice sharp full chisel chain cutting you up when you trip and fall on it.

Haha, I hadn't even thought of listing non-running saw related injuries!!!
I ended up with 26 stitches for a 4" long gash in my shin after tripping over a cord and falling on my saw in a dark trailer on a storm cleanup crew... I was actually going for the generator in front. I was in shorts and not running saws that day.
Bar was covered, but the cover was 5"-6" too short & left a few very sharp chisel teeth exposed to snag me pretty good when I fell over it:/
Can't imagine if it had been running!!!

Apparently I'm a lot tougher than some you. PPE goes on every time but like the Alaska dog says (barks?) it is the last line of defense. Hopefully your saw handling and awareness are the first line of defense. Like some of you I also teach chainsaw safety at the State and County level. In those classes I show my small collection of saw injury images. I think I would get banned posting them here. Mods?

I'm tougher (well in the past) because I wore chaps, heavier chaps than cheapo Stihl of Husqvarna chaps, as a contract faller for Cal Fire. 110 degrees and in the sun and sometimes wearing a backpack (line gear). No problem. No body would listen if I whined anyway.

So now that you are mad at me try to think about what your family would think of your excuse. BUT IT WAS HOT! Imagine seeing your child in the ER with a head injury because it was too hot to wear a helmet. My mom would never wear a seat belt because if the car rolled over and caught fire she wanted to be thrown clear. Just an excuse.

All I used to wear was safety glasses when doing firewood, but now I have the Stihl hardhat with ear muffs and screen face shield. I also always have on a pair of sunglasses when outside anyway, and they're extra protection. I get made fun of with my hardhat, but it has saved my noggin a few times. Even my sunglasses alone have prevented a few face injuries. I had a poplar come down awkward and take my face shield right off, and scratched up my glasses. It was windy, and I was rushing. Eye and ear protection are a must. Wouldn't mind getting the safety chaps, just in case.

when bucking/ground work in an open area - glasses, ear plugs, quality steel toe leather boots
when falling add helmet
when climbing add dipped gloves when I'm in pitchy trees(plus saddle and all the obvious climbing gear)
when I'm in nasty brushy crap all over the ground add chaps

I've never been cut while not wearing chaps. I know it can happen and I'll take full responsibility for when it does. I don't care what other people wear unless I'm paying them. If I'm paying them, it depends on their experience what I 'force' them to wear.

Back