Does a prussik have to be thinner than the rope its round?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, that has been the best cord for a VT of the all the ones I have tried so far. It slips a little when it is new, but once it gets broke in it grabs on cue and releases easily and doesn't seem to gather as much heat on a desent like the other cords.

The trouble is finding the stuff, there is only place that I know of that has it, we both probaly got it from the same place and they don't always have it in stock.

Larry

To answer your question, yes, it should grip both ways if properly tied, dressed and set.

An open Prussik is better suited for a traditional climbing line friction hitch set-up, your asking about a flipline or lanyard, a closed prussik would work better. I have never heard of anyone using an open Prussik on a lanyard, not saying it wouldn't work though.

Personally I have never been a fan of the four or six coil Prussic closed or otherwise for any climbing knot application, they lock down too hard and are hard to break to get them to release, a Knut or a French Prussik would work much better for a lanyard.

Larry
I'm going to look up some pictures of an open prussik. I use a three coil regular closed one for my lanyard, as I won't use a lanyard that works only in one direction. I am trying to let go of the idea that it has to be symmetrical to work well bidirectionally.

I'm going to look up some pictures of an open prussik. I use a three coil regular closed one for my lanyard, as I won't use a lanyard that works only in one direction. I am trying to let go of the idea that it has to be symmetrical to work well bidirectionally.
This is an 18 year old thread, the industry has changed a lot since then.

This is an 18 year old thread, the industry has changed a lot since then.
Well, no question about that. This thread popped up on a google search, and I haven't been on here in a while. I'm just starting to learn SRT, and at my age, I move so slowly that it'll take me forever to try out every variant.

Does a prussik have to be thinner than the rope its around?
>>IF is closed friction hitch of 2 legs of loaded support to saddle as Prussic,
not so much single loaded leg 'open' friction hitch such as Blake's/Proh-grip.
Matching-or-denser-force-nipping-other-friction-hitches.png

Blake's real and faux(foe) 'sui-slide':
Prohaska-prohgrip-blakes-vs-suislide-friction-hitch-warning_600px.png

A> When working with rigid objects of wood, metal etc., the stiffer rigidity can displace/bite into lesser to lock.
B> Look at everything as displacement against another.
>>rope rigidity i look at as native rigidity xTension squeezed into such and such a dense footprint size/width.
2support legs gives half load rigidity to rope/cord, trying to displace into/against a full loaded rigidity.
>>We go with smaller, tighter, denser force packed into a smaller footprint rigidity,
>>to make up for the loss of tensioned rigidity that equal partners at different loaded rigidities would have.
So, then also, this means these factors can be tuned to suit, beyond just the mating interface beyond their textures, and and shared force involved.
Also note, on 'closed'/dual support legs a loop is more self adjusting, but terminal legs to saddle can load more to 1 leg than the other as another trade-off.

Back