Does anyone else "Long Hinge" difficult trees ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spottedgum

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
When the timber is old or brittle, or the tree has to fall against it's weight/wind/lean, and it has to fall with the hinge attached at least 1/3 it's fall arc = I use a "long hinge".
20 years in the industry without formal training. My work is in domestic situations where you are removing trees around houses, pools, sheds, power lines, and other breakable obstacles.
The timber is either waste or firewood, so the structure of the fallen log doesn't matter. What does matter is a controlled, precise fall - often against the natural fall of the tree.
I have used this regularly on "back leaners" up to 30 deg, big "side leaners" (so the hinge doesn't "pop" until the tree is past 1/2 arc), and timber that is dry or brittle.
The "long hinge" maintains a hinge until the tree is falling in such a way as it's fall direction is set, regardless of lean, weight or wind.
Just curious if anyone else uses this method, as there are no references to it I can find.
DSC00872.JPG

First you attach a rope and winch (if required) to pull the tree in the direction of fall.
The width and length of the long hinge is based on experience. It can be cut in the centre of the tree or offset toward the sappier wood either way. Often the long hinge may be not parrallell - with the wider part on the high side of a side leaner.
First the hinge is bore cut and ripped to size on both sides.
On a side leaner you cut fall kerf out, then cut the back fall cut 2/3 across from the lean side, belt in a wedge, and cut the remainder of the back cut. If your hinge is too fat, and it won't fall, bore and rip a bit off the back side of the long hinge and cut it through from the fall/wedge cut. (or use a winch)
On a back leaner, take the tension on the winch rope, 2/3cut, wedge and finish the back fall cut, remove the front fall kerf, and winch the tree over.

Like I said = it isn't for forestry, it's for problem trees that can cause damage to surrounding infrastructure.

No.

How is that any better than a wide open hinge (or open face cut)? 90 degrees is what I've been taught.

Browsing quickly for a pic:
https://*****************/images/03_21_04/3.jpg
The amount of hinge wood is the same. You could shave off half of the tree (well, that would change weight dynamics...), but your hinge is still where the back cut meets the back of the face cut. The idea of not letting the hinge close before the tree hits the ground is the important thing that you accomplish with that. But it just took longer to get there.

Couple of other pics I found

CQ1_qxf6fZD3fZsQIbZE4Yj_6JfPaRI8oDYjJKV-JCavEDFJIeGRRtb-Df40SMiqAcq-ErLYEOQ_WyNc_tgP7uERzlTMyvU

1599711432353.jpeg

The difference is the height of the hinge.
Instead of the fall being on a hinge the height of a saw cut (3/8"), the fall hinges on a longer "board" of timber that can flex a lot more before breaking.
The "board" for a 24" diameter tree would be (depending on circumstances) 8" high, 2" thick by 20" - 24" across.
That 8" gives a lot more flex before breaking than the normal 3/8" hinge.
The back fall cut is usually higher than in my drawing - normally the top 1/3. The board/long hinge tends to flex and splinter during the fall but sometimes remains attached to both the trunk and stump even after the tree has landed.

Yeah I do this sometimes, regular face cut, but with a "wall" for want of a better word. Like, standard diagonal cut into the stem, then vertical down, a few inches depends on the tree, then horizontal back out to complete the face cut. Generally I'll cut the diagonal, then the horizontal, so that the hinge of the horizontal is a few inches below the hinge of the diagonal, then bash out the block with a felling bar or whatever, then tidy up the "wall" between the two cuts so it's clean and vertical.

Never tried that personally, but I have noticed that's it beneficial on leaners to cut a pretty deep face cut (like 30-40% of the tree if it looks sound). The deeper face cut requires less lift with wedges to get it "over center" and falling. Only problem is the stem separates from the stump pretty early in the fall. Maybe I'll try this technique...

There is only so much room across stump for hinge and wedge.
>> The more you bring back hinge, the more Center of Gravity leverage is undermined
>> BUT, the less leveraged distance from wedge to hinge in trade
From available, finite reach across hinge.
My go to against sideLean across hinge path,
>> even if that is downward in tree as sliding limb acted more sideways
>> or even to top bind in bucking
Is to against we a Tapered Hinge, with fat side as ballast against side pull to path.
Tensioned backfield of hinge is hardest leveraged pull
>> so favour backfield to be in widest part of tree for greatest side control.
Center Punch allows more reapportionment of fibers to extreme outer leveraged positions of hinge.
>> bulk on off side/ against lean, but at least tuft on lean side as anti-swing from too much tapers pull
>>AND have pivot fibers as close to lean as possible
Favour not fighting sideLean with rope/wedge direction
>> rather serve temp wedge/rope forward to force stronger hinge
>> let that fight sideLean thru rotation to tear off
>> see wedge/rope against sideLean as temp fix at start ONLY, relieved as tree lifts from wedge etc.
See faux load forward direction as exercising hinge stronger, then relieved to ' tour of duty'.
Even if Zer0 sideLean may work as sideLean
>> to practice
>> and to not feed so directly into greatest tree forces
Exception: Backlean, needs thinner hinge, try to pull CoG uphill over tree and then to splashdown side
>> try to fall inline to CoG, as no sideLean.

The difference is the height of the hinge.
Instead of the fall being on a hinge the height of a saw cut (3/8"), the fall hinges on a longer "board" of timber that can flex a lot more before breaking.
The "board" for a 24" diameter tree would be (depending on circumstances) 8" high, 2" thick by 20" - 24" across.
That 8" gives a lot more flex before breaking than the normal 3/8" hinge.
The back fall cut is usually higher than in my drawing - normally the top 1/3. The board/long hinge tends to flex and splinter during the fall but sometimes remains attached to both the trunk and stump even after the tree has landed.
Interesting...so it is basically a "mini-barberchair" that you are creating? Could that create risk for a full fledged barber chair if you make the hinge too thick?

Still not sure I see the benefit over an open face. They don't break the hinge until the tree is all the way down either. Will have to contemplate that and maybe give it a try.

On the rare occasion I fell anything over 3m tall I like as many constants as possible to be present...a valuable and major constant to me is the tried and tested ‘normal’ cuts and their effects that over time I have learned to judge. With a natural material like wood where constants are rare even among identical species, I keep it simple.
I’m a climber though and not a faller; if I did more felling I might learn more constants.
It is an interesting idea though because I do lay hedges and on occasion have to lay > 150mm stems...when I do I do similar to your process

Interesting...so it is basically a "mini-barberchair" that you are creating? Could that create risk for a full fledged barber chair if you make the hinge too thick?

Still not sure I see the benefit over an open face. They don't break the hinge until the tree is all the way down either. Will have to contemplate that and maybe give it a try.
Found something here https://*****************/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=p683rmbrp0epr9jps9n1f1imu5&topic=89495.msg1613020#msg1613020 that is similar to what I'm talking about.
The whole "barberchair" thing is pretty much a non issue on Aussie timbers unless you are cutting saplings or silky-oak (grevillea robustus). Or unless you're doing exotics.
We have a bunch of eucalypts (scribbly, salmon, brittle, tumbledown) gums that will pop with as much as 2/3 log uncut depending on lean and load. In other-words = they snap like a carrot.
To control these in felling against lean, standard felling techniques just don't come near it. A

Back