Does chain gauge matter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does a saw accept .50, .58, and .63 gauge chains? I believe the drive sprocket is wide enough and it could take any gauge as long as the pitch matches, correct? I’m looking to take my 395xp from a 36” bar .58 to a 48+ which will probably be a .63

For me I go to the next wider chain when the bar gets sloppy. Yes it often smokes and gets a little warm in the process so what. I am not sure what gauges are available in a 48'' bar. I would guess that it is only 063 so that is what you need. I used a 050 3/8'' on my 056 with a 48'' bar and yes was too much chain to pull but I only had one tree to cut that was 9' across. All drive sprockets can handle any width that you throw at them but not a good fitting bar. Thanks

Thank you for the guidance TJ and Bob!
Bob, are you selling that bar mender on the interweb yet?!! ;) Seriously though, is that a modification to a can opener?

Thank you for the guidance TJ and Bob!
Bob, are you selling that bar mender on the interweb yet?!! ;) Seriously though, is that a modification to a can opener?
If I was buying new partsI I would struggle to buy them for the price Baileys is selling the complete item.
see https://www.baileysonline.com/woodlandpro-chainsaw-guide-bar-rail-closer-w-10001.html

Yes it is home made,.
The big disc is Bisalloy steel (military amour plate). I got a bunch of these discs already at that rise from a metal merchant for AU$1 (US75c) ea.
It's quite hard to drill - as hard as chainsaw bar.
The bearings come from an old electric motor.
The most expensive things are the two handles which cost me a couple of $ each.
It works very well.
Finished2.jpg

Back