does MS261 leak bar oil like MS271?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Hovis

Reaction score
Selling my MS271 which would be the perfect saw for my needs if it didn't leave a puddle everywhere it sits and spray my clothes with bar oil every time I use it. It's been parked and I've been using dad's 455 to turn large cherry trees into firewood. Do Stihl's pro saws do the same thing?

I have some time running the MS271, 291, and 311...none had the oil problems you report.

I think there is something wrong with your 271.

MS261 is a considerably better saw than the farm saws...it, too, should not leak a lot of oil.

If you want to fix the 271, I'd start with a new thread saying that's what you're doing.

Roy

You need to find out where this oil is coming from. Could be that the oil line grommet isn't seated properly in the tank opening.
Dump out your oil, and fill with fuel mix. See if you can get it dripping freely.
The oil pump is just one of those stick pumps, so it is hard to flow freely through that.
Something is likely not sealing properly.

I've found it helps to open the bar oil cap after you're done cutting and before putting the saw away. This will release any pressure that may have built up while running. This pressure can in turn push oil out of the system and cause leaks under the stored saw.
I couldn’t agree more. Releasing the vacuum in the oil reservoir definitely helps.

Selling my MS271 which would be the perfect saw for my needs if it didn't leave a puddle everywhere it sits and spray my clothes with bar oil every time I use it. It's been parked and I've been using dad's 455 to turn large cherry trees into firewood. Do Stihl's pro saws do the same thing?
Haven't had any problems with my pro Stihl's. 241,261,400,462. Keeping the fill area clean of sawdust and chips is the key. (With any saw)

Coincidentally I ran a tank out of a MS271 a couple of hours ago making sure it was OK to sell. I had replaced the oiler, worm gear, oil hose, because the previous owner had run it with the drum bearing out and ruined all of that. Nothing special about it one way or the other.
Anyhow, if there is any pressure from temperature in the oil tank there is really nothing to keep it from pushing oil through on any of these saws as near as I can tell until it equalizes.
It pumps just as much oil if the is bar buried as it does if you are cutting a limb. So, if you are just limbing I can see the oil not being absorbed by the wood and getting slung around a little.

You can seal the cap hole and pump about 5 psi into the tank.
It should hold about 20 seconds.
This is such a problem Stihl has a procedure in print.
As stated above, temp, bar oil viscosity etc etc come into play
More often than not, theres no problem. Unless there is.

Lots of threads on here about saws that leak bar oil while sitting, regardless of brand. Assuming its not leaking out the oil cap and the oil passages in the bar are clean, it could a cracked oil line or oil pump seal. You'll need to remove the clutch to get to it. If the 271 meets your needs, just find the source and fix the leak.

Just about all saws will leak some bar oil. The pumps are not sealed except by machining tolerances and oil viscosity.

They will leak much more if stored in locations with large daily temperature swings, like un-insulated outdoor sheds. When temperature cools off the air shrinks and sucks cool air into the oil tank through the check valve. The next day when the temperature goes up the pressure in the oil tank rises, closes the check valve and pressurizes the tank and pushes oil out through the pump tolerances.

Last year I worked on a older Stihl261 and noticed it was leaking bar oil badly. I remembered in the tech manual a procedure to fix it. I dumped the oil and used air pressure to the vent. This seemed to fix the issue and reports that still holding bar oil. Attached is a procedure reference.
Oil valve cleaning.JPGOil valve cleaning2.JPG

Just about all saws will leak some bar oil. The pumps are not sealed except by machining tolerances and oil viscosity.

They will leak much more if stored in locations with large daily temperature swings, like un-insulated outdoor sheds. When temperature cools off the air shrinks and sucks cool air into the oil tank through the check valve. The next day when the temperature goes up the pressure in the oil tank rises, closes the check valve and pressurizes the tank and pushes oil out through the pump tolerances.
You obviously don't need it. You got it covered. I covered pressure testing. The cigar smoking dog posted excellent info. As for the tech sheet, I would prefer not to, because, Stihl would prefer I didn’t. I respect their position. Hope you understand.
I think the OP should have all the info he needs if he cares to follow some very good advice.

You obviously don't need it. You got it covered. I covered pressure testing. The cigar smoking dog posted excellent info. As for the tech sheet, I would prefer not to, because, Stihl would prefer I didn’t. I respect their position. Hope you understand.
I think the OP should have all the info he needs if he cares to follow some very good advice.

Seems like 20 seconds is pretty meaningless storing a saw until the next time you use it.

Back