does MS261 leak bar oil like MS271?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 271 was brought to me a few weeks ago, leaking bar oil. Unfortnately I found a small hairline crack in the housing in the oil cap area. We decided that the best thing was to drain the oil when not using it rather than replacing the housing. He may try to seal the crack at a later date.

Seems like 20 seconds is pretty meaningless storing a saw until the next time you use it.
Possibly. It’s a suggestion from the people who design the system.
But theres no way there’s 7 psi in the tank. It’ll show hose and fitting leaks.
Especially if mix is used, as suggested
Like any test, its only that. 1123 series is the only family that I remember they
actually had a problem. Solution was to blob dirko on formed grommet.
Definitely high tech, but it did work. All in all, 026 seem to leak the most.
Popularity since the MS 261 has dropped off.
Just my opinion.

Some of the 026's oiled all the time whether the clutch drum was turning or not.

On the 1123's there is a little red plug down beside the muffler on the oiler side that wanders out occasionally. May have been necessary for the way the case is molded. You can plug it with a little allen set screw.

Some of the 026's oiled all the time whether the clutch drum was turning or not.

On the 1123's there is a little red plug down beside the muffler on the oiler side that wanders out occasionally. May have been necessary for the way the case is molded. You can plug it with a little allen set screw.
Yes. I agree. I mean they were bad leaving puddles.
Fantastic saws. If someones wants clean, buy an axe.
Any saw is a dirty high maintenance tool.
As for the MS 261’s, Im seeing fewer and fewer, at least around me.
Guess its cost, because they are incredible little saws.

I am currently working on a T540 XP. Same problem! Oil bath, saw paste stuck everywhere inside the case, Dripping oil all over the place wile running. Three times apart to the pump, oil lines, vents, the whole nine yards and beyond. I finally think I found the problem. will know in a few weeks when the parts come in.

Selling my MS271 which would be the perfect saw for my needs if it didn't leave a puddle everywhere it sits and spray my clothes with bar oil every time I use it. It's been parked and I've been using dad's 455
No one is getting any younger. Keep "borrowing" the 455 until your dad is comfortable with that and save big money.

You guys are very knowledgeable. I sold it and have a legitimate need for a 261 and something bigger in the future. 455 Rancher has been great but prefer to stay with Stihl for warranty support.

No one is getting any younger. Keep "borrowing" the 455 until your dad is comfortable with that and save big money.

I cut firewood for him, his trees on his farm so it's a sweet deal.

Blew up his beloved 2071 Turbo so I paid for the 455.

Latest posts

Back