Dolmar 421 crank seal, bearing removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole point of working on the saw was to learn. I am succeeding! I bought a replacement saw as soon as this one crapped out.
We all have to learn, but some things like keeping dirt out of the engine is just common sense.
I want to build a boat, I have not welded for over twenty years, guess who is not going to weld his
own boat, me, that's how common sense works, I just bought the tools and will get someone who
is currently at the top of his game to do the work, just like recommending a porter to you.

Did you remove the brake flag yet, I can't see how it will help being left in place to get broken,
I even added a video of someone splitting a case for you, so you could see, it was clean, and
had all the parts removed, how difficult can it be to learn from such.

if your splitting to rebuild it....just hose it down with purple power or something similar and hose it off. repeat until clean. air hose it off and split it. no sense wasting money or time cleaning if its getting split

if your splitting to rebuild it....just hose it down with purple power or something similar and hose it off. repeat until clean. air hose it off and split it. no sense wasting money or time cleaning if its getting split
You told him to hose with purple power, and repeat until clean, followed by no point in wasting time or money cleaning it if its getting split, that makes no sense. Cleaning it now with no cylinder will allow
the dirt into the case unless he is careful, which was the point I was making.

You told him to hose with purple power, and repeat until clean, followed by no point in wasting time or money cleaning it if its getting split, that makes no sense. Cleaning it now with no cylinder will allow
the dirt into the case unless he is careful, which was the point I was making.
who cares if you get dirt in teh case if your splitting it?????? why would anyone waste hours cleaning a saw when it can be done in 5 minutes or less and once split your recleaning everything spotless anyway

who cares if you get dirt in teh case if your splitting it?????? why would anyone waste hours cleaning a saw when it can be done in 5 minutes or less and once split your recleaning everything spotless anyway
That is the worst advise ever, clean the engine completely, it keeps dirt out of the workings
of the saw.

That is the worst advise ever, clean the engine completely, it keeps dirt out of the workings
of the saw.
its getting rebuilt...case is getting split. tell me exactly what is going to be hurt by hosing it off before tearing it down to rebuild?

i know guys that literally pressure wash their saws to clean them up....and they arent rebuilding them...just washing them up before putting them away. never been an issue for them so how is that bad advice to someone that is cleaning a saw up to COMPLETELY tear a saw down and rebuild it

its getting rebuilt...case is getting split. tell me exactly what is going to be hurt by hosing it off before tearing it down to rebuild?

i know guys that literally pressure wash their saws to clean them up....and they arent rebuilding them...just washing them up before putting them away. never been an issue for them so how is that bad advice to someone that is cleaning a saw up to COMPLETELY tear a saw down and rebuild it
You said, "who cares if you get dirt in teh case if your splitting it??????", well everyone who does not want
dirt in their case should care, and wash their saw before opening it up.
You know there is no successful way to remove grit from the big end bearing on the crank, without
getting very involved and pressing the crank apart, cleaning or replacing the bearing, and pressing it
all back together in perfect alignment, that is why I made the point of keeping dirt out of the case to
the OP, it is critical to do so.

You said, "who cares if you get dirt in teh case if your splitting it??????", well everyone who does not want
dirt in their case should care, and wash their saw before opening it up.
You know there is no successful way to remove grit from the big end bearing on the crank, without
getting very involved and pressing the crank apart, cleaning or replacing the bearing, and pressing it
all back together in perfect alignment, that is why I made the point of keeping dirt out of the case to
the OP, it is critical to do so.
if you think it is that important to keep it spotless that is great. you do you.

i dont think its that important to keep it spotless when its getting torn down anyway. everything we do in the shop goes thru the exact process i explained. once torn apart each piece gets washed in purple power in the sink then brake cleaned and air hosed off....if its still super dirty or really needs scrubbed we throw them in the parts washer and scrub them then do the purple power/water/brake clean/air hose procedure. if your leaving grit and carbon behind after your done cleaning....your not cleaning good enough. we have literally done thousands of saws this way and if your doing your job you will never have an issue. in a shop...time is money...literally. we charge 3 hours labor to diagnose, clean, and rebuild saw.....us and every other shop in the world can not spend an hour or more just on the cleaning of the saw before it gets torn down for a rebuild and speaking from experience....i will take our process over allot of other shops because we have gotten allot of saws over the years that other shops had taken the cylinder off without even using an air hose to clean them up first. that alone will make your blood boil but then your stuck putting a topend on a saw not knowing if anything else is wrong because they didnt bother doing pressure and vac test before tearing it apart

I will put it this way, am just one of those people who
get the car washed with the windows closed,
Then I clean inside the car.

Never did get the idea of washing all the dirt from the out side
to the inside, and then proceeding to take it all back out.

And on that note, I give up.

I like that method! How likely am I to damage something doing it?
I would rather use a splitter, but it can be done as the video shows, just keep a close eye
on the end of the crank and the threads, I would not hit it too hard if it showed no sign of moving,
I would then heat the case around the bearing with a hair dryer or a heat gun trying not to heat the bearing
and then tap it again, the case splitter would be the most ideal way to do it, its just difficult to justify buying
one for a once off job, but as shown near the start, a guy made a simple puller that worked well too.

I could ask a shop to do it, but they’ll disappear into back room and do it and I’ll learn nothing. I wonder what they’d charge?

I could ask a shop to do it, but they’ll disappear into back room and do it and I’ll learn nothing. I wonder what they’d charge?
No harm in getting a quote, if its reasonable go with it. You will still know how its done, lots of video showing it, its just one of those annoying things that doesn't pay to tool up for a one off.

I probably watch too many YouTube videos of repairs of all sorts being done in third world countries using basic tools. It’s impressive. I remember how they changed my truck tire in Panama, sitting on the ground with a sledgehammer and a pry bar!

Back