Dolmar 5105 easy start to hard start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I'll pull the cat muffler. I bought the 5100 muffler to put in after warranty.
Any carb adjustments needed?
I have Two identical EA4300 Makita chainsaws, I gutted the mufflers, one did not need
any carb adjustment, the other did, just start it up and if its still revving and four stroking
you will be pretty close, if the four stroke goes away in the cut and comes back as soon as
you lift the weight off then you are doing good, you may need to alter the L out a little if
you find the saw a bit dead on the uptake when you gun the throttle, best to take it a step at
a time, 40:1 is what I use, it adds a little protection too if your a hare off with the carb settings,
but shouldnt be taken as a cure for poorly adjusted carb, yours was cutting fine, it should be
close to right, so it will only take small tweaks to get you there, unless you were running on
the edge of lean, which can be established if you post some pics of the cylinder after you remove
the muffler, you could also post a picture of the plug, that may also show if you were lean or rich.

Pretty sure I'm set on spares, for this series at least. I imagine there are enough spares in the system that even if they stop supporting existing equipment next year(which would be unheard of) we'll be set for a long while.View attachment 867088
I understand, but lots of people who have these saws are already looking ahead and buying parts,
a guy / dealer in the UK has had trouble all year getting saws let alone parts, he is a Dolmar dealer,
the parts are being picked up, even if not, they will become expensive when they are scarce.

A few folks have solved issues with these by trimming the duck bill valve in the fuel vent.
Evening Tim , I have not had an issue with the new 5105 H since the cat removal and retuning it in the cut @ 400 rpm fat on the tach. During breakin I ran it 40:1 with Sabre as we discussed then after 5 tanks returned to my normal 50:1 . It always starts within a pull or two however has became a consistent 1 pull starter hot or 2 pull cold . P.S. I always prime it with ignition off and choke off 1st then as mentioned cold , 1 pull with choke often starts it or 1 additional with choke off again when cold . Interesting thought on the vent line duckbill , will keep it mind thanks bud ! P.S. I think between Hunting and Fishing Camp visits it has blocked approximately 8 cords of hardwood this past yr !:cheers:

I'm guessing it won't be too long before all new gas saws are gone. Electric motors have potential, and battery technologies strive to provide more power in smaller packages. 1000 hp Hummer, Ford mustang 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds, who knows what's next.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try a few things mentioned to get it starting right then get the 5100 muffler on. I like the saw and the heat makes thinner gloves nice to wear up here. If anyone has anything else that could help let us know. it seems I'm not the only one.

I'm guessing it won't be too long before all new gas saws are gone. Electric motors have potential, and battery technologies strive to provide more power in smaller packages. 1000 hp Hummer, Ford mustang 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds, who knows what's next.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try a few things mentioned to get it starting right then get the 5100 muffler on. I like the saw and the heat makes thinner gloves nice to wear up here. If anyone has anything else that could help let us know. it seems I'm not the only one.
I think the cat removal and retuning will get you where you need to be . Good luck bud !

Pretty sure I'm set on spares, for this series at least. I imagine there are enough spares in the system that even if they stop supporting existing equipment next year(which would be unheard of) we'll be set for a long while.View attachment 867088
Man, I'm looking for the Dolley abuse hotline phone number right now.

Back