Dolmar 9000 find today and some advice needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErnieG

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a Dolmar 900 today at the flea market for a great deal .
When I picked it up felt like it had good compression but after getting it home I found the piston scored up but it's still very hard to pull over so it still has decent compression.
Put some fuel in it and it fired rite up on the second pull ..ran a few seconds and started leaking from the dry rotted fuel line so I shut it down .
My questions are where can I get the replacement OEM fuel line if still available or can I use a regular fuel line on this saw and what should I do about the p/c ..looking threw the spark plug hole the cylinder doesn't look to bad ...I'm really hoping im able to reuse it .
I know it's hard to tell if they are salvageable till I get it off .
Here's a few pics ....
Thanks
Ernie

Attachments

• KIMG1679.JPG
    KIMG1679.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 48
  • KIMG1680.JPG
    KIMG1680.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 35
  • KIMG1681.JPG
    KIMG1681.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 48
  • KIMG1683.JPG
    KIMG1683.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 48
I would check eBay for the fuel line and the chainsaw shop as well, I forget the web address, as for the Piston and jug , open her up and polish out the jug and find a new piston and some caber rings , they are available and a few companies make solid replacements , I would not do the big block kit if your jug is salvageable as the factory Dolmar jugs have excellent porting and quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way if you keep it upgrade to the 9010 flywheel and coil they are still available and make the saw come alive . With the coil update they will run 13,000 plus rpm without it they are governed.

I would check eBay for the fuel line and the chainsaw shop as well, I forget the web address, as for the Piston and jug , open her up and polish out the jug and find a new piston and some caber rings , they are available and a few companies make solid replacements , I would not do the big block kit if your jug is salvageable as the factory Dolmar jugs have excellent porting and quality.

I did check eBay but couldn't find the fuel line .
I was reading about the flywheel and coil swap ...I'm probably going to swap them out once I get the fuel line and p/c squared away.
Thanks
Ernie

This saw has a Bing carb on it and I've been reading they aren't a very good carb ...I have a few Tilly HS carbs I can possibly use .
What's all involved on the conversion ?
Ernie

This saw has a Bing carb on it and I've been reading they aren't a very good carb ...I have a few Tilly HS carbs I can possibly use .
What's all involved on the conversion ?
Ernie

I’veNever done one But I think if you square away the fuel line see if the tilli fits, work out the linkage and if it flows enough you should be good that’s a big mill needs good flow not to lean out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tillotson hs295 is the correct carb. it is a direct bolt on.

9000s were known to have crappy ignition systems so upgrading that is almost mandatory and it requires the ignition coil as well as the flywheel for a 9010. 9000 flywheel and 9010 coil doesnt work.

once the higher limited 9010 coil is installed upgrading the carb becomes almost mandatory as well.....from what i have been told the bing carb cant keep up with the higher revs of the 9010 coil. cant confirm that tho....i ditch the bing carb without even trying to run em.

Had a rain day today so I teared into it ...
Pistons toast but the cylinder cleaned up well ..not bad at all !
I noticed the inside of the case is painted with some fairly large chunks flaking off ...could this have contributed to the damage ?

Attachments

• KIMG1686.JPG
    KIMG1686.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 12
  • KIMG1687.JPG
    KIMG1687.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 12
  • KIMG1688.JPG
    KIMG1688.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back