Dolmar/Makita twins in the stable - BB in the future!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradpj53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just last week I was lucky enough to stumble across one of the last old-style (lesser EPA smothered) Dol/Mak 6401's new for $472 at my local HD Rental. Thrilled! This week, having read that HD Rental makes a "sell" list the first 10 days of each month, i called them up and asked when they thought they might have a used 6401 for sale - after all, since I intend to BB it up to 84cc for milling, why kill the 2 year warranty on the new one? The answer? "We got one on the shelf right now - $217." :msp_thumbsup: I was there in a flash (couple hours later after work) - they were nice enough to hold it for me as I had just purchased the new one. This unit looks way nicer than any I have seen on Fleabay the last month - record shows 34 rentals over 2 years. Included a new sucky safety chain that cuts like it was intentionally dulled. i asked if I could get $20 bucks off if I took only the powerhead - guy says no. Then my new buddy Alan from the previous week walks in - whispers ensue. Price comes down to $197! Shades of bud Light - "I love you man!". I left feeling sky high. BB and HD filter order will go in this weekend; I'm probably posting later on the milling site with questions about best Alaska setup. I pulled the muffler off (below) mostly for educational purposes; The piston had a persistent oil/carbon stripe that wouldn't wipe off; plate between cylinder and muffler looked carbonized. Plug was medium brown, not sure what that all suggests about tuning.

Congrats.... I got one of the new 6421 from HD about 2 weeks ago... Just couldn't wait for my local HD to put the used one's on sale.

Same goes for you Ithicaman -what tipped you to OEM vs aftermarket? I'd hate to leave any HP on the table, as I'm sure I'll need all I can get for CSM.

Brad

Brad

When I was looking at different kits,stock and BB,the price difference was only $60.I got my 79cc from Edgeandengine and got free shipping on my order over $150.So I figured that the free shipping only made difference more like $40 because I would have to add shipping cost to the price of a BB kit.Also from the reserch I have done there is almoast no power difference between the stock BB and the OEM 79cc.Hope this helps .:dizzy:

Can you tell me about your experience with this? Different people have been all over the map on it.

Brad
Good bore does not go all the way to the top, and compression is not what it should be. Squish band machined with reverse taper, and not square with the bore.

Hopefully the 2nd generation kits will address those issues, but for now I'd lean OEM.

When I was looking at different kits,stock and BB,the price difference was only $60.I got my 79cc from Edgeandengine and got free shipping on my order over $150.So I figured that the free shipping only made difference more like $40 because I would have to add shipping cost to the price of a BB kit.Also from the reserch I have done there is almoast no power difference between the stock BB and the OEM 79cc.Hope this helps .:dizzy:

Cool - I'll check it out! BTW does Ithacaman mean you have some connection to Ithaca NY? (1.5 hrs from me).

I wouldn't hesitate to do a BB again. I had good luck with mine. Mine was not a Baileys kit though.

Check out my build here. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/156518.htm

Unfortunately I'm not a motorhead so to speak; my lathe only cuts wood :( So maybe the Mahle would work best for me? Seriously this will be my first ever CS rebuild so I have to take baby steps.

Brad

Got it from Matt aka MCW. This kit actually looked better then the Baileys ones I've seen, much more even combustion chamber.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another from Matt and run it stock.

Don't be silly Will, stock isn't a word in your vocabulary...

;)

I have several OEM and one BB from Baileys. I can't tell any power difference, and as Mtn mentioned the quality of the BB is not nearly as good as the OEM. For the price difference, it would be OEM all the way.

Back