Dolmar PS-420 bar and chain recommendations (Noob)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbeast71

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping for some sound advice from the pros. I just bought a used 420 of ebay to replace my 290 that I lost to the ex:****you:. I'm new to this so have been doing a boatload of reading on here which has left me somewhat confused and slightly infected (CAD, now I want a 5105 and 6400 lol). I like best budget semi-pro/pro grade stuff which is why I chose the Dolly. I'm going to pick up a few loops, new bar, and sharpening stuff but before I do I need some advice.

Option 1: Oregon pro 91 16" bar and 91 vxl chain. Keep it simple.
I keep seeing that .325 might be a better choice but I don't plan to run a full chisel based on the comments that dirty wood and novices do better with SC. Maybe when my sharpening skills are honed I'll give the FC a shot.

Option 2: 420 spur .325 sprocket. 16" Oregon prolite 041 bar and Oregon 20BPX

Option 3: The 5100 rim drive with a .325 drum (7?) and 16" Oregon prolite 041 bar and Oregon 20BPX

I'll do the cat mod once I learn how to tune the carb. Planned usage of the saw will be carried on my off road rig for trail clearing, ice emergencies, ice fishing holes until I get an auger, and camping firewood. When at moose camp I'll fell and buck a few dead standing ponderosa pines and buck other deadfall and beetle kill, about a cord per trip with the occasional green ponderosa for the meat pole. Some day I'll have a cabin that will need some timber cleared but then it will probably be time for the 6400 for logs:D.

I know based on this usage almost any saw would work but after using a Craftsman while my buddy used a prograde Stihl I had to have a better saw. The 290 was alright but heavy, now that it's gone time to start over.

Oh, incase you're wondering what I mean by "ice emergency" a chainsaw would have been REALLY helpful on this trip.
img_0610.jpg

So ever since that trip my chainsaw rode with me every time.
img_0355.jpg

yes i know that you didnt have an option #4 but i here it is

option #4 5105 drum with .325 7T and a 16" oregon bar and K1NK (oregon 95VPX)

give it a few days and i will be able to give my opinion on option #4. i just ordered a NK bar for the latest 421 that i am doing. i have ran plenty of these saws with N1C which is the carlton equivalent of 91VXL and my personal 421 runs K1L. i have never ran one with NK though and a customer wants it setup this way so i will give my thoughts when its together and tested in some wood.

I don't know why you would want to switch that saw to .325, unless you already have extra chains or something like that. I'd leave it like it is, especially if its just a truck saw.

And some more advice while you are asking for it. Stay away from used saws on Ebay. The one you just bought looks hammered and twisted, and looks like you paid a pretty good price for a truck saw. That's why I wouldn't change anything on it because you'll probably be needing other parts from the loos of it.

Keep an eye out for closeouts of offbranded models. I consider Dolmar an offbrand and if you are patient and search they will turn up at really sweet deals. We had a dealer in my area who gave up on Dolmar and cleared out his inventory at prices I'm sure he was taking a loss on. Same with Jonsereds, Makitas, and my last new buy Tanaka. All good saws but being I'm a cheapskate, I'll find tem new and cheap.

I have a 420 setup with .325 on an Oregon 15" 64DL bar and a noncat muffler. This saws rips ! I never used mine with the 3/8. LP but I love the way it cuts with the .325.

dont look bad to me and for the price with shipping included is not out of line at all. i would wanted a compression number and pic of the piston before i would pay that but if all that ends up checking out i think you did ok. that cracked clutch cover is only a $14 part.

I'm not a fan of ebay but we don't have any local shops up here with used saws that I have found, just Stihl and Husky box store stuff. A new 421 would have been $350 which was what I was about to do.

I'm starting with nothing chainsaw wise so I will be mail ordering chain, a bar, files, and possibly a sprocket if deemed necessary.

When it shows up I'll check compression and take a peak inside, fingers crossed that I got lucky.

Well it's here... I might be a chainsaw newb but I am mechanically inclined so here's what I found...

Piston looks good, no galling.
Jug has some minor wear and some vertical lines but not aluminum buildup
No carbon in the exhaust port but oily
no carbon in the muffler but oily
still has the cat
170-180 compression with 4-5 pulls using an automotive gauge (was hoping to see 190)
Non epoxy carb? standard or flat for S.
Flat for L
Screw in the way but Flat for H. Has a stop on it and set full CCW.
Factory Dolmar chain is TRASHED! Maybe .010-.015 between rakers/safety crap to cutters, some cutters missing, others maybe 3/16" max left, closer to 1/8". But it's oily which implies the oiler is working!!!
Someone attempted to sharpen it, poorly/wrong file.
3/8 LP Dolmar chain and bar.
sprocket only has minor wear.

My guess, This is a 1 chain saw, ran it until it wouldn't cut, forced it and threw a chain and cracked the clutch cover and traded it in.
I'm happy, only wish it was a few PSI higher in compression.

Now my surprise! Being in AK with few dealers I did the web comparison thing, I thought by the specs that this was basically a Stihl MS250 (which I did touch) but closer to pro grade. NO WAY, this thing is f-ing TINY and light! I thought the 250 was the perfect truck size so settled on a 421 (same money, more saw), had I actually held one I would have been looking for the 5105. My 290 was a little heavy and gutless this is a pocket knife, if it truly can cut like you all claim I can't wait...

A few more observasions. It has a plasticity screen type filter but has 2 holes in it, need a filter. I'm guessing she's older since the carb isn't epoxy and no DD tool (is that good or bad) and the filter isn't felt. And the cutters are under 1/8th and some are bent or missing!

So... vxl chain and pro 91 bar or .325 with a 5105 rim sprocket? Need to order parts and get her ready ASAP! Time to go play LOL.

But seriously, played with it again and it's TINY! All those complaints about weight? I'm only comparing to a MS250/1, 261, and 290 but WOW! Being 6' I would have overlooked this thing if all I did was hold it!

The saw is in no shape for pics, let me get her fixed up and in some wood or ice. After comparing .325 to the 3/8 lp I think she needs the .325 but that's solely on a visual.

Just so that you know, you bought the "old" version 420 with 2.7hp. The new version has 3hp. Further they changed the airfilter and a few minor other things on the new version, so be careful what you order!

Personaly I prefer Stihl chain. You could even get PS3 chain for it.

I also have the "old" version and am VERY happy with it.

yes i know that you didnt have an option #4 but i here it is

option #4 5105 drum with .325 7T and a 16" oregon bar and K1NK (oregon 95VPX)

give it a few days and i will be able to give my opinion on option #4. i just ordered a NK bar for the latest 421 that i am doing. i have ran plenty of these saws with N1C which is the carlton equivalent of 91VXL and my personal 421 runs K1L. i have never ran one with NK though and a customer wants it setup this way so i will give my thoughts when its together and tested in some wood.

I agree on going .325NK on that saw, as long as he has no interest in using chisel chain. :)

Latest posts

Back