Dolmar PS-420 bar and chain recommendations (Noob)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have just been letting paypal do the work for me but maybe from now on i will add the tracking to the email. I am learning. I will get it all sorted out eventually.

We have been experimenting on bars and air filters so his stuff is taking a bit longer to figure out what he is getting and how much it's going to cost to ship.

Thanks to Dbeast71 I now know exactly what parts are needed to swap a 420 over to the 421 air filter setup. The kit is $54 but you only need a couple parts if you can live with flat black air filter cover and glossy black hood. Total cost $32

Mine won't ever get here if it never leaves the Post Office its supposed to be here today but tracking shows it hasn't even left the PO yet.[emoji34]

maybe i should just avoid giving a tracking number. could be worse! when i sold on ebay i had a package bounce between 2 sorting facilities in dallas tx for 2 weeks before finally being delivered. the original package was delivered the same day as the replacement one i sent out 2 weeks after the original one.

maybe i should just avoid giving a tracking number. could be worse! when i sold on ebay i had a package bounce between 2 sorting facilities in dallas tx for 2 weeks before finally being delivered. the original package was delivered the same day as the replacement one i sent out 2 weeks after the original one.

Probably should on the tracking number thing, you've got one of them funny PO's. Mine was due in yesterday but had no status change from the 20th when you mailed it until yesterday. Supposedly out for delivery again today. Can't do anything about the PO though unless they loose it or you're paying for guaranteed delivery I guess.

Mine won't ever get here if it never leaves the Post Office its supposed to be here today but tracking shows it hasn't even left the PO yet.[emoji34]
Tacking is worthless from USPS - it will be there before they update it.

Do you know or believe that the us and european models are not the same? I donot know but I can hardly believe that a company as small as dolmar has the muscle to push two different production lines for different continents.

Further I only took the h.p. numbers from the homepage.

And last there is a test done in a german magazin, where they used the engine testing equipment from Stihl and proved the numbers. Here is the link. Might be interesting for number crunchers like Sawtroll! :p:D Weil ich weiss das Du auch deutsch lesen kannst!;)
For those with difficulty in german (Messwert = measured value)

http://www.shindaiwa.de/presse/motorsaegentest.pdf

And last, quite a interesting comment from above article, is that the Dolmar, although "old fashioned classic" engine design, needed less fuel than the modern engine design Husqvarna 445! That would go in hand with what Dolmar "officials" commented in another magazin that the engine "had a redesign" so that it reaches much better emision results, so that for them the cat is the simple answer.

But they preferred the 251 and especially the 452S Shindaiwa(a favourite of mine as well, and a reason we're reading this off the shinny site) to the Dolmar...

The .325 16" is longer than the 3/8 lp but not by much, ~7/16". So now it's just shy of a 15" saw.

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 21
Saw fits in a Husky box OK, a little bit of bind due to the left side of the handle but nothing that would cause a problem. I can get a sharpening roll, 20 oz MSR fuel bottle (for an extra tank of fuel), qt bar oil, bar vise, spark plug, and scrench no problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.JPG
    IMG_0528.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 12
Saw fits in a stihl box too, but only have room for the extra fuel, would need a bag for the other accessories.

Attachments

• IMG_0529.JPG
    IMG_0529.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 15
Back