Dolmar PS 6100 fuel pick-up line disconnected

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jere39

Outdoorsman and Pup
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We've had a bunch of high-wind storm events this Spring, and I've been busy sawing away with my Dolmar family. The PS 6100 with a 24" bar was working through this large Maple:

IMG_7810.jpg

I was stretching the reach of the 24" bar by walking down each side and following with wedges. Worked, but both saw and I had a pretty good sweat going in no time. I had finished all the cross-cuts, and my Son-in-Law who was splitting asked me to noodle a few of the bigger ones to save his back. I was half-way through one when my saw stalled out like it was out of fuel. I trudged up the hill to my truck and filled it up. I could not get any fuel into the purge bubble, but was able to start it, but as soon as I laid it into wood and pulled the trigger it would stall out. I guessed a fuel problem, dumped the precious 93 Octane 50:1 and fished out the fuel filter to see if it might be obviously blocked. Well, the problem was more apparent than that. The pick-up line along with the filter was just laying there:

IMG_7820.jpg

I guessed the line had "fallen" off a fitting, and tried to spot it inside the tank. What I thought was a fitting, was too far for fingers, or even any of my needle nosed pliers. So, I rolled down to my local Chainsaw shop. The owner/operator has gotten himself more interested in custom milling, but he is a decent guy and showed me a secret drawer of hemostats for just such a job. But, he declared the hose was not just disconnected, but broken/torn/whatever off and asked me how I did it. Well, not sure he believed me, but it happened while sawing, not while probing the inside of the tank (which I never did before last night when I found it laying there). Whatever caused the disconnection; weakened rubber, ethanol, mfg error, design escape, it failed before I shoved a finger in there. Just curious if anyone has had any similar problem with fuel line in the tank of a 6100? I only use very fresh fuel, but do use a premium ethanol with posted up to 10% ethanol on the pump. I looked at a couple parts breakdowns, and frankly couldn't quite convince myself I had found the right part(s).

Fixed - In fact I was right, the little stub of fuel line did come off a fitting inside the tank, and with the right tool (a long and angled hemostat) it was easy enough to get it reinserted. All's well, no parts required. Fixed and sawing away

Back