Dolmar throwing chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh.

Based on the redesign, the chain probably gets stuck between the sprocket and washer when it’s pinched. I wonder if a rim sprocket would fix the problem?

I’ll contact Makita customer service and see if I can get them to part with a couple of the redesign. Maybe before I do that I’ll call one of their dealers and see if they know anything, Any dealers on this forum?
No, the chain stays behind the added flange on the sprocket. In my case it stopped throwing chains and stayed on the sprocket teeth.

Im interested in knowing if a gap between the clutch hub sprocket end and outer washer can be measured using a feeler gauge that exceeds .04-.035, enough room for a chain driver to wander into and get pinched and thrown, the new design looks like it should contact a chisel keeping it better centered on the sprocket and away from the outer edge of the crankshaft.

Im interested in knowing if a gap between the clutch hub sprocket end and outer washer can be measured using a feeler gauge that exceeds .04-.035, enough room for a chain driver to wander into and get pinched and thrown, the new design looks like it should contact a chisel keeping it better centered on the sprocket and away from the outer edge of the crankshaft.

2 dealers I called have never heard of the problem. One said a too tight chain could cause the chain to come off and the other said that’s not the case! Neither knew about the 3201 sprocket.

maybe I’ll try to loosen the chain and if that doesn’t work take out a link?

I got to inform one that Makita is dropping gas saws. He couldn’t understand why I was working on my dolmar when they’re so cheap to replace. I explained I wanted to learn. He warned me against it!

some dealers don't listen to the customers words unless the customer is asking for a part or equipment or they only know how to look things up causing confusion if even simple questions are asked. Seems this vacuum has been created by offering poor pay killing it as a long term career option in the majority of dealers or the one guy who knows his **** working there is kept from talking to you. Try the feeler gauge step I mentioned.

2 dealers I called have never heard of the problem. One said a too tight chain could cause the chain to come off and the other said that’s not the case! Neither knew about the 3201 sprocket.

maybe I’ll try to loosen the chain and if that doesn’t work take out a link?

I got to inform one that Makita is dropping gas saws. He couldn’t understand why I was working on my dolmar when they’re so cheap to replace. I explained I wanted to learn. He warned me against it!
That dealer is a moron. Steve

The washer that goes on the sprocket of the 421/4300 covers the Spurs. The redesigned sprocket has a sprocket “cover” built in plus it has a washer.
It still adds with after the sprocket, regardless of the pressed shape of it, so it adds with the width of the sprocket
and there is little room left for the spring clip to hold it on, now the only way to make keep that overall width would be to
remove the same amount that will be taken up by the washer that is formed onto the sprocket. there is no way to keep
the sprocket the same width as the old one and then put a washer on ther followed by the original washer and clip.

Back