Don't Have a Dolmar Brake Bands (Might Have a Solution)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tres_dolmars

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently joined the ArboristSite and looking for some help from this community on Dolmar brake spring (bands). Seeing how finding brake bands for the older saws is almost impossible, I have been doing some research on the following Dolmar brake bands:
- 119-213-053 was used on models 112, 113, 114, 116, 117, 119, 120, and the 120 Super
- 030-213-070 was used on models 116SI and 120SI

Background:
I have qty 2 120SI's and qty 1 120 Super. All of which have broken brake bands or are on its last leg. The brake band from the 120 Super does fit in the 120SI sprocket guard assembly and is functional. Some people have not believed me on this but the 120SI has the same brake band mounting provision in the sprocket guard assembly. See Figure 1. Figure 2 demonstrates the 119-213-053 installed into the 120SI sprocket cover. But the 030-213-070 is not compatible on the 120 Super.

So this had me thinking...maybe I can make a brake band (not the brake gate). And after some trial and error, I have been able to repeatability create a brake band that functions in my Dolmar saws.

Figure 1
1640209333458.png

Figure 2
1640208525625.png

My questions for this community:
1. Has anyone else experienced fitting a 119-213-053 brake band onto a 116si or 120si?
2. Do you think there is a market for the recreated 119-213-053 brake bands? If "Yes", what might a customer be willing to spend on an aftermarket brake band for an obsoleted Dolmar brake band? Keep in mind the brake gate would not be included which means the saw owner would need to reused the existing brake gate. **I am trying to understand if trying to sell a brake band would be worth the investment.

I have a 116 that I have been chasing a brake band for for several years now. If you can produce a replacement band for around $30 then you will likely be able to sell them easily. Any more expensive and I think you will find people will try and just make their own.
I just haven't bothered trying to make my own yet as I have several other saws and don't use the 116 anyway so no real need for the band at this stage.

Thanks Pyroteknic. That is what I was thinking as well. Specifically maybe $25 for the part as it will cost about $5 for shipping. I was able to find a shop that had only 1 of the 119-213-053 and the going rate was $55 and only 1 of the 030-213-070 for $65. Considering we are only selling the brake band part from the 119-213-053, $30 is probably about right.

Well, I am just putting the final touches on the fixturing and rivet setting. Almost done with the instructions that will come with the brake band as well. We will be selling them on eBay so we will see how things go. Don’t plan on making a ton of money. We just want chainsaw owners of the old Dolmars to enjoy the fun sawing brings, but with the security the brake band provides.

Not quite sure when I will have the parts posted, but should be soon. Thanks again!

I’m using your brake bands! Bought two of them. They are perfect folks. Works good, last a long time.
Av8or3,
Thanks for the response. Glad you are liking the bands. Many guys have responded in pleasure that “they got the ol girl working again”…lol. So far, all appear to be happy with fit, form, and finish as well with positive feedback on the instructions provided. It is really exciting that the old Sachs Dolmar market has responded like it has. Thanks again!

I recently joined the ArboristSite and looking for some help from this community on Dolmar brake spring (bands). Seeing how finding brake bands for the older saws is almost impossible, I have been doing some research on the following Dolmar brake bands:
- 119-213-053 was used on models 112, 113, 114, 116, 117, 119, 120, and the 120 Super
- 030-213-070 was used on models 116SI and 120SI

Background:
I have qty 2 120SI's and qty 1 120 Super. All of which have broken brake bands or are on its last leg. The brake band from the 120 Super does fit in the 120SI sprocket guard assembly and is functional. Some people have not believed me on this but the 120SI has the same brake band mounting provision in the sprocket guard assembly. See Figure 1. Figure 2 demonstrates the 119-213-053 installed into the 120SI sprocket cover. But the 030-213-070 is not compatible on the 120 Super.

So this had me thinking...maybe I can make a brake band (not the brake gate). And after some trial and error, I have been able to repeatability create a brake band that functions in my Dolmar saws.

Figure 1
1640209333458.png

Figure 2
1640208525625.png

My questions for this community:
1. Has anyone else experienced fitting a 119-213-053 brake band onto a 116si or 120si?
2. Do you think there is a market for the recreated 119-213-053 brake bands? If "Yes", what might a customer be willing to spend on an aftermarket brake band for an obsoleted Dolmar brake band? Keep in mind the brake gate would not be included which means the saw owner would need to reused the existing brake gate. **I am trying to understand if trying to sell a brake band would be worth the investment.
I never had an 053 band, otherwise would have tried it in the 120si for sure. After a year looking for a springsteel fabricator, I discovered a German eBay seller offering ~070 band + gate assembly at a cost that was over half the £120 I'd paid for the saw without band. He had several and they weren't selling at that price.

I think you'd need to be able to assure buyers that your home-made brake bands function correctly (they must be very very strong and the tolerances are fine) but, that done, at 30 or 40 US equivalent my guess is they'd fly off the shelf.
If as you suggest the ~053 band is compatible on the SI models, it might be the one to tool up for first. But... if not really compatible, the SI models are arguably the better saws and least readily fixed by buying a spares saw, so the ~070 part is the one most urgently needed.

As for the gate, most of us could probably reuse it, though drifting off the broken section of band could put the pin at risk of needing to be drilled out. I can see your being asked to supply a new pin from time to time.

I have a couple 133s and their brake band seems to be an even rarer item. If you can get behind the science of making aftermarket brake bands that work, you'd sell a few of these too.

I never had an 053 band, otherwise would have tried it in the 120si for sure. After a year looking for a springsteel fabricator, I discovered a German eBay seller offering ~070 band + gate assembly at a cost that was over half the £120 I'd paid for the saw without band. He had several and they weren't selling at that price.

I think you'd need to be able to assure buyers that your home-made brake bands function correctly (they must be very very strong and the tolerances are fine) but, that done, at 30 or 40 US equivalent my guess is they'd fly off the shelf.
If as you suggest the ~070 band is backwards-compatible, it might be the one to tool up for first.

As for the gate, most of us could probably reuse it, though drifting off the broken section of band could put the pin at risk of needing to be drilled out. I can see your being asked to supply a new pin from time to time.

I have a couple 133s and their brake band seems to be an even rarer item. If you can get behind the science of making aftermarket brake bands that work, you'd sell a few of these too.
Thank you for your thoughts and for taking the time to share.

The journey in creating the 053 bands has been fun and sending all over the world has exceeded my expectations.

I like the idea of creating the bands for the 133’s however I currently do not have one of those saws to trial one. I will have to key my eye open if I can get one at a reasonable price.

Latest posts

Back