Don't want a new saw. Stihl Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a recoil rebuild kit that comes with the spool, washer, pawl and retainer clip. Inspect the shaft it rides on. The shaft and spool bore get worn allowing the spool to cock to the side and bind during starting. Stay away from knockoff starter assemblies, they are trash.
Do you know if my Stihl dealer will still be able to get these parts?

Do you know if my Stihl dealer will still be able to get these parts?
You may also find a good used one on Ebay. I think that it may be the same as an MS250. Can anyone confirm this?

The recoil rebuild kit won't do any good if the spool axle in the cover is worn. BTW, unwind the rope to get the tension off of the spring BEFORE you try to remove the spool from the cover. You don't have to undo the rope to do this.

Do any saw shops have used parts in your area? I am pretty sure I could put my hands on a few in the dead pile. Not a saw most people will put a large sum of money into.
I guess I save too much stuff. Dumpster time!
My little local lawn and garden/Stihl dealer retired and closed. Slim picken's in this rural area. Thinking the same thing about putting a lot of money into it. Can buy a MS 170 for $199.00 from my local John Deere/Stihl dealer or a MS180 C-BE easy start for $279.00 Any opinions on the new saws? I've "heard" their not as good as the old one's. Hate to junk something that is probably still mechanically sound. We heat are house with wood but I buy firewood now. Live on 4 acres of mostly woods, just use a saw for limbs and the occasional fallen tree. Have a Dewalt 12" electric that I love but we are surrounded by huge oaks, if one comes down in a storm I also need a reliable gas saw too.

My little local lawn and garden/Stihl dealer retired and closed. Slim picken's in this rural area. Thinking the same thing about putting a lot of money into it. Can buy a MS 170 for $199.00 from my local John Deere/Stihl dealer or a MS180 C-BE easy start for $279.00 Any opinions on the new saws? I've "heard" their not as good as the old one's. Hate to junk something that is probably still mechanically sound. We heat are house with wood but I buy firewood now. Live on 4 acres of mostly woods, just use a saw for limbs and the occasional fallen tree. Have a Dewalt 12" electric that I love but we are surrounded by huge oaks, if one comes down in a storm I also need a reliable gas saw too.
Any Echo dealers in the area? There are several Echo's I'd look at before a MS 170 or 180 (3510, 370, 400, etc). Often good deals on the Bay as well. I picked up a new CS-4910 for just over $300 a handful of months ago.

If you think you've got the issue down to the recoil, I'd try an aftermarket (mine was about $13). May not be OEM quality but a fairly cheap way to decide if that's the problem and then think about the next move.

Any Echo dealers in the area? There are several Echo's I'd look at before a MS 170 or 180 (3510, 370, 400, etc). Often good deals on the Bay as well. I picked up a new CS-4910 for just over $300 a handful of months ago.
Any reason you recommend Echo over the small Stihl's I mentioned? Just need a small 16" saw for occasional light duty. That said my 025 has gotten worked pretty hard when I was cutting my own firewood. Never failed to cut anything the 16" bar would handle. Been a great saw for 27 years.

Any reason you recommend Echo over the small Stihl's I mentioned? Just need a small 16" saw for occasional light duty. That said my 025 has gotten worked pretty hard when I was cutting my own firewood. Never failed to cut anything the 16" bar would handle. Been a great saw for 27 years.
I just like the Echo's. Bit bigger saws than the 170 / 180 Stihls. 3510 is 35cc, 370 is 37cc, 400 is 40cc.
I've had very good luck with the Echo's I've had. For a 16" saw the 170 and 180 are very small cc's. I'd go bigger. Your 025 is a 45cc saw. Stihl's offering to match would be a 250 or 251. I've got a 250 which I don't like and should sell off.
I think Echo offers better saws for the money.

I just like the Echo's. Bit bigger saws than the 170 / 180 Stihls. 3510 is 35cc, 370 is 37cc, 400 is 40cc.
I've had very good luck with the Echo's I've had. For a 16" saw the 170 and 180 are very small cc's. I'd go bigger. Your 025 is a 45cc saw. Stihl's offering to match would be a 250 or 251. I've got a 250 which I don't like and should sell off.
I think Echo offers better saws for the money.
Thanks for the info. Just might be shopping for a new saw, have an Echo dealer 20 miles away right near the Stihl dealer. Always good to compare them in person.

If I owned no saws and needed one, I'd probably get that 59cc Echo. For the price vs quality those Echos seem real nice. The only Echo I have is a modular trimmer that takes all the different attachments, but that thing runs like a scalded dog.

UPDATE, I finally came to my sense's and bought a new saw yesterday. After reading all the expert advice here I went and bought a Echo CS-4910 from a local Mom and Pop place with a great reputation. After 27 years it was time to add to the old Stihl 025 that is hard to pull and start. It's still in pieces but I'm going to keep it for a backup. YES, as some said I've probably gotten too old to pull on it 8 or 10 times when cold. Today I fired up the new Echo and absolutely love it. Easy to start with the compression release. :) IMG_5157.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5158.JPG
    IMG_5158.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Anyone notice the bar is upside down? I would imagine they are shipped with the bar and chain off. They had a 18" and 20" on the shelf ready to go. I dealt with the owner Ralph, he didn't notice it either. After our transaction we went outside and he gave me a quick lesson on starting it. Thought this was funny, I'm sure one of his employees installed the bar. I always flip the bar when replacing the chain, someday it will be right side up!;)

Back