Double bridge on cougar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosocat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just looking for feedback on this concept. Eventually I will liger mod my cougar. But in the meantime I was thinking about experimenting with this idea. I used the existing web bridge attachment rings and threaded another rope bridge through them. Has anyone else tried this, and if so how did it work out? Are there any safety concerns I'm overlooking?

Attachments

• 20200906_082027.jpg
    20200906_082027.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200906_081957.jpg
    20200906_081957.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 26
And on the webbing loops attaching the rings to the harness. Plus the risk of a mega fall pulling half your knot into the ring and jamming in there, or worse, not. And rings aren't rated to load like that (not that i can see them bursting from it, just saying).

The Cougar is a nice saddle once it is modded. I did mine a few years back. The way they run double bridges on Tree Motions is to tie the second bridge directly to the rings. Keeps down on movement and eliminates the possibility of the knot being pulled through the ring. After I modded mine I held the rings and they didn't feel as good of quality as a DMM or other good ring. Glad I got away from them. But each ring is only seeing half of your weight. I recommend modding as soon as you can. Until then a second bridge tied directly to the rings is a good choice. I tie my second bridge the same length as the first and use both when climbing for redundancy. Doesn't hurt anything. Then if I need the second bridge for a second system it's already there.

Also I would recommend Teufelberger Platinum 10.5mm for the bridge. The cover is attached to the core so it can't slip through the knot. Double fishermans noose knot with at least 3 inch tail and set it good and tight.

Still plenty of room for lanyard on the lower Ds. You can use any combination of rings or small rigging plates on one or both bridges.

Latest posts

Back