drilling through bar for oil feed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBandCo

Reaction score
im still a b it green with chainsaw milling and i had an idea for an extra oil feed system for my Alaskan mill. Im having a difficult time drilling through my 36" Oregon bar. ive ruined multiple bits.. is there a certian bit i should be using? i need at the most 1/2" hole near the grove of the bar. right where the chain guide is. any ideas? thanks!

im still a b it green with chainsaw milling and i had an idea for an extra oil feed system for my Alaskan mill. Im having a difficult time drilling through my 36" Oregon bar. ive ruined multiple bits.. is there a certian bit i should be using? i need at the most 1/2" hole near the grove of the bar. right where the chain guide is. any ideas? thanks!
1/2 inch hole is way to excessive, is your oiler turned up all the way ? Probably drill a hole next to the regular oil hole same size or little bigger without going threw just to inner rail

If you drill the bar you have to drill both sides (you will occasionally need to flip the bar) as you want the oil delivered on the outfeed side of the nose otherwise it just gets thrown off the nose.
I drilled a couple of bars but then gave up on that method because the holes eventually get blocked. Now I just "wick" the oil direct onto the line where the chain rides on the bar. This means locating the wicking point as close as possible to the bar/chain.

This photos shows two oiling points- the Thru bar oiler is a hole drilled in the bar.
Then a hollow bolt with a hole in the side lined up with the bar gap,
IMG_8671.jpg
The top one uses a hollow brass bolt within a 1/64"of the bar/chain.
Brass is used because if it vibrates loose it won't change anything.

Both of the bars for my 064 are Oregon bars (28" and 42"). I was able to drill them both with a cobalt bit and a cheap drill press. I ran at about 1000 rpm and used bar oil for cutting fluid. I normally used ATF, but I had the bar oil sitting there and I've had good results with it as a cutting oil on ferrous metal.

Latest posts

Back