Drive links - 56 vs 57

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuzzy

Reaction score
Hey All,
Complete newby here.
I'd bought a Echo CS-3510 which came with a 16 inch chain and 57 links. It seems most 16 inch chains are 56 links. I'm guessing maybe the bar is a tad wider (taller) than normal?
Anyhow - on Bailey's it shows both 56 and 57 link chains for that model. While I can buy the 57 I have another chainsaw, Echo CS-400 with a 16 inch bar, which uses 16 inch chain with 56 links. It would be nice to just buy the 56 link chains so that I could use it on either one.
So would using a 56 link chain on my new saw, which specifies 57, screw up anything?

If it fits it won't screw anything up provided they are the same pitch and gauge. I have the cs352 which uses the 57 dl chain as well. I recently got another small saw that uses the 56dl chain so I know where you are coming from. I have not tried to switch them but it would be interesting to see. You can try it and see if the chain adjuster has enough range on both. If not, I have seen Oregon 16" 56dl AO41 mount bar and chain combos on Walmart and ebay for less than $20.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Thanks. BTW: ammoaddict too. I'm instructor for Project Appleseed and teach rifle marksmanship. If you haven't heard of us check it out. Send me a message if you'd like a pass to one of our events. We're all over the U.S.
I've got a huge amount of land clearing to do and now about to get into chainsaws big time. Gotta figure out how to work on them too since can't afford to pay for somebody else to fix them.

Thanks for the invite. I have heard of it before but never been. It looks like the Charlotte, NC location would be the closest for me. About 1.5 hours. I'll let you know if I decide to go when it gets cooler, it's been over 90 here every day. I can't tolerate it anymore.
Let me know about the chains, I will let you know if I get time to try to switch mine.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

It may be easiest in the long run to just replace the bar. If you are going to multiple saws of the same size class, I'd strongly recommend making sure they all use the same bar and chain to save a lot of frustration over the years.

Maybe some have 20" instead of 16"...but I'd still use the same pitch and gauge.

You could try the Stihl brand chains, they are prestretchEd, 56 dl may work for both, or put new 56dl in non echo bar, make 2 cuts and switch it to echo bar one- probably stretched enough to fit

Back