Driveway re-model to balance trees and garage access?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwaywa

Reaction score
Greetings!

I'm looking for some advice on how best to deal with the unfortunate conjunction of the mature trees in our driveway and the existing concrete. We plan to demo the entire driveway and replace with a more tree friendly design (large paver blocks with large permeable gaps) and the area outlined in magenta in these photos will be removed and mulched completely (more or less). The challenge that you can maybe see from the first photo is that the edge of the existing drive runs to the garage and so removing the hard surfacing (or at least driveable) closest to the trees is a bit tricky to accommodate. A natural option would be to snake the drive to the other side to give the trees more room, but here we are constrained by a septic drainfield that we can't cover with hardscaping and so we're trying to balance how we can retain a 2 car wide garage in harmony with helping the trees.

The trees have been here since before the (1970's) house I think. They're over 100' tall and are 2 x deodar cedars, 1 x Norwegian Spruce and also a more recent vine maple. The stump you can see is from a large cherry that we removed last year as it was growing at a very strange angle and was making it hard to replace the roof of the house that was past its life.

The grade is such that one option we're considering is to use an air spade to try to move some soil from beneath the largest roots on this side, fill the void with gravel and then instead of topping with 4" of hardscape (which we can't because the root occupies probably 3" of that), perhaps put a metal grate over this side. In cross section a bit like this?

root.png

Might this approach be viable or are we kidding ourselves that this is going to work?

Here are some photos and descriptions to make it a little clearer what we're trying to solve for.

IMG_4225.JPG

The area outlined in magenta we plan to rip out the concrete and mulch to give the trees a little more room that isn't covered in concrete.

IMG_4226.JPG

The area in green is what we're most unsure of. The previous owners had cut out a trench to accommodate one root from the Deodar, but as you can see the roots are basically pushing up and cracking this area. The mature cherry that was also here before has now been removed as it was obstructing the drive so much we were unable to get the re-roofing done so unfortunately we decided to remove it. Without taking up this concrete, we can't be sure how much of the damage is being caused by the now removed cherry or the cedar.

IMG_4224.JPG

Another angle of the main problem area.

IMG_4227.JPG

I guess my question really is, if this was your drive, and you were planning to remodel it anyway, what would you do?

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Roger
(Washington State, Seattle area)

There is always the chance that tip toeing around your trees you end up with dead trees. As an arborist I am very pro tree, however sometimes it's best to remove and replace. Trees are a renewable resource, unless you have a real nice specimen it's may not be cost effective to save them. Your trees are well established any disruption to the root zone is a negative. To answer your question, I would seriously consider starting with a clean state, do your drive then replant.

Really don't want to remove them. Local ordinances will make that difficult and/or impossible as they are not hazard trees. Is there a way to at least be sensitive to the trees needs when doing the work - for example would it help if we replaced the impervious concrete with a permeable surface or at least did so near the drip line? Might that help mitigate any concerns from compaction work above? What does the most damage - is it the demo of the existing concrete or is it compaction of any new base material for the new surface? I'm thinking that maybe what we do is essentially do the lower right hand side of the drive in gravel in a "geomesh" (possibly all of the lower half of the drive beside the trees) and then start transitioning to pavers and/or concrete as we get closer to the garage and further away from the trees.

I guess in parallel we can have a conversation with the town hall about their appetite for replacement but that will need director approval at a council meeting as it would be in breach of many of their tree preservation rules. Not optimistic on that front ...

The most tree friendly thing you can do is to do nothing. I tend to doubt that feeder roots are thriving under the concrete drive. They are in the stump mound area and out in the lawns. Under the drive you'll most likely find lateral transportation roots, severing/crushing these would be very harmful. The less mechanization on the removal and replacement the higher the chances for a positive outcome. Of course zero impact to nondrive root zone areas.

The most tree friendly thing you can do is to do nothing. I tend to doubt that feeder roots are thriving under the concrete drive. They are in the stump mound area and out in the lawns. Under the drive you'll most likely find lateral transportation roots, severing/crushing these would be very harmful. The less mechanization on the removal and replacement the higher the chances for a positive outcome. Of course zero impact to nondrive root zone areas.
Agreed. I would look at patching and epoxy coating as an alternative.

We had a root barrier put in before a new driveway. We dug a 4 foot ditch and put in product that prevents roots from growing under the driveway. So our entire driveway is lined with this stuff going down 4 feet. Now, it really only works when you can get access before the roots start. It may be too late for your scenario, but look into and it still might work.
https://www.rhizomebarrier.com/NDS-EP-2450-Root-Barrier/

Really don't want to remove them. Local ordinances will make that difficult and/or impossible as they are not hazard trees. Is there a way to at least be sensitive to the trees needs when doing the work - for example would it help if we replaced the impervious concrete with a permeable surface or at least did so near the drip line? Might that help mitigate any concerns from compaction work above? What does the most damage - is it the demo of the existing concrete or is it compaction of any new base material for the new surface? I'm thinking that maybe what we do is essentially do the lower right hand side of the drive in gravel in a "geomesh" (possibly all of the lower half of the drive beside the trees) and then start transitioning to pavers and/or concrete as we get closer to the garage and further away from the trees.

I guess in parallel we can have a conversation with the town hall about their appetite for replacement but that will need director approval at a council meeting as it would be in breach of many of their tree preservation rules. Not optimistic on that front ...
I am also in western Washington, so I got curious and searched for Woodway's tree ordinance, posted online at https://www.codepublishing.com/WA/Woodway/html/Woodway16/Woodway1612.html. There is a way to apply to remove more trees at one time than what's in their table (you have to submit a Tree Management Plan), and the base permit fee seems somewhat steep but not unmanageable (probably a few hundred dollars, appears to depend on the cost of your driveway project), but what I find outrageous is that they give themselves the right to hire outside consultants such as arborists and then send you the bill! So when you apply you have no idea how much your permit is going to cost you!

Apparently (https://www.townofwoodway.com/how_do_i/index.php#faq_permit) both tree-removal and right-of-way permits go through the public works department, and I'm sure you will need a right-of-way permit to replace your driveway even if you leave all the trees alone. Have you tried phoning them to find out more about your options? Sometimes these departments are friendly and helpful on the phone. You can't possibly be the first Woodway homeowner faced with this problem.

If you do keep all the trees, I think gravel is the only driveway material that won't be lifted up in an unsightly hump over each big tree root as the years go by and the root grows thicker and thicker. Even if it does mound up a bit, it won't look as bad as pavers or pavement, or any rigid grate you install. IMHO.

So, the damage has already been done and the tree's look like they've overcome it.... Unless you have a certified arborist monitoring the demo and consulting on ideas for new construction of driveway, materials, etc.... The demolition contractor is going to drive heavy equipment over the root zone, excessively tear and damage roots, etc.etc. Construction contractors DO not care or know about tree's....compaction is on the top 3 list of why tree's decline and die.... demolition of the existing driveway definitely is beneficial for your tree's, but it has to be done delicately with finesse.air spading, thick layer of mulch" but not close to trunk" and biohm tea with mycorrhizae are highly recommended during this process.

I understand why you want to keep the trees. Personally there is no way I’d allow trees that close to my house, car, garage, ect. One storm and you may not have a house anymore. Not to mention the havoc the roots can cause with the septic system and foundation of the house. My advice is to fell the trees, and enjoy the wood.

I understand why you want to keep the trees. Personally there is no way I’d allow trees that close to my house, car, garage, ect. One storm and you may not have a house anymore. Not to mention the havoc the roots can cause with the septic system and foundation of the house. My advice is to fell the trees, and enjoy the wood.
So you would prefer a world where every tree that could hit a structure was removed?

Latest posts

Back