Drop starting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
How did the safety watchdogs decide that this technique was so dangerous it should be banned? Are there actual statistics that support this view or is it mainly a perceived danger by safety committees that don't really use chainsaws? I'm talking about drop starting where you hold the saw on the front handle with the left hand and pull the cord with the right hand, I'll concede that there could be some risk with a newbie trying this without a chain brake but if a brake is on, what kind of serious injury could happen? Some guys with much better arms than me like to hold the saw with their right hand on the rear handle and pull straight back on the cord with their left hand, I would like to do this especially with long bars where you have to rest the tip on something and it also gives direct control of the trigger. Again, don't see anything too dangerous here when done by an experienced operator.
The safety police would like everyone to start the saw on the ground with one foot through the rear handle, good for people who have bought their first saw but the reality of working in the bush where there is no uncluttered ground make this a useless approach. An often recommended technique is the leg or "crotch" starting where you hold the saw with your left hand on the front handle and the rear handle tucked under your right leg and this seems like a good compromise which I will often do but if the saw is a real bear to pull over, the leg bruises put me back to drop starting. How many are forced to use some technique by the agency you work for, but go back to regular drop starting when you are on your own?

The foot in the handle thing might work if ya had a infant's foot lol
I wear steel caps don't even own a saw I can fit my boot in the bloody handle.
I drop start and between legs never a scratch or anything remotely close to what I'd call a near miss or dangerous.
But you know how it goes not all men are created equal give some guy's a spoon and they would poke their own eye out accidentally lol
I see in NZ they make you strap some silly big leather glove to the handlebar who knows why they mustn't believe anyone could hold onto the handlebar of a saw unaided like the rest of the world lol

In a professional environment, the safety nazis are everywhere. Drop starting is not only frowned upon, it is against regulations here.
What " professional environment " are you referring to. Been drop starting for over 50 yrs, even worked the landing for the mill where I live for one whole summer, never once was drop starting an issue. Might be different in the forestry profession, don't know. The only cut I've ever received from a chainsaw was during hand sharpening the chain.

the danger in drop starting the way you described is cutting the back side of your left leg. because most people dont knkw that they tend to let the saw fall towards their body when starting that way. the safest method of starting the saw is on the ground with your foot on the foot pad. most people dont knkw the reason that there is such wide flat sopt on the bottom of the tank handle is actually for holding ykur saw down with yo
mur foot for starting. the safest way of drop starting is buy setting your bar on a log and holding your saw in your right hand and pulling the cord with your left hand and sliding your saw forward as you drop and pull the cord that was there is no chance of having the running chain into your leg of course you have to make sure there noting near the top of the bar where kickback will occur

How did the safety watchdogs decide that this technique was so dangerous it should be banned? Are there actual statistics that support this view or is it mainly a perceived danger by safety committees that don't really use chainsaws? I'm talking about drop starting where you hold the saw on the front handle with the left hand and pull the cord with the right hand, I'll concede that there could be some risk with a newbie trying this without a chain brake but if a brake is on, what kind of serious injury could happen? Some guys with much better arms than me like to hold the saw with their right hand on the rear handle and pull straight back on the cord with their left hand, I would like to do this especially with long bars where you have to rest the tip on something and it also gives direct control of the trigger. Again, don't see anything too dangerous here when done by an experienced operator.
The safety police would like everyone to start the saw on the ground with one foot through the rear handle, good for people who have bought their first saw but the reality of working in the bush where there is no uncluttered ground make this a useless approach. An often recommended technique is the leg or "crotch" starting where you hold the saw with your left hand on the front handle and the rear handle tucked under your right leg and this seems like a good compromise which I will often do but if the saw is a real bear to pull over, the leg bruises put me back to drop starting. How many are forced to use some technique by the agency you work for, but go back to regular drop starting when you are on your own?
Oh yes very dangerous this chainsaw has 220 PSI it is a piece of peace to start

Screenshot_20210428-020214_Gallery.jpg

I have dropped started all of my saws including the 100 CC plus saws. I only drop start a saw under good conditions though. I watched some one make a little extension to allow the foot to stabilize the saw which I have tried. My foot with my hiker shoes barely will go in the back of the saw which is my normal MO. Yes I have modified most of my saws to allow my foot to hold down the back of the saw. For small saws that are are 80 CC and under are usually dropped started. As I have gotten older and working in remote locations I take safety much more seriously. Thanks

Drop starting is especially a hazard on saws without a chain brake, or when the chain brake is not used. Experienced users may feel that they have control over the dropping saw with one hand on the top handle, but if you watch a lot of guys you will see the saw spin / rotate quite a bit, which is a hazard with both a running or non running chain.

Drop starting is prohibited by OSHA, for anyone covered by OSHA.
https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/chain_saw_safety.pdf
I prefer the leg lock / crotch start method for most saws, unless they are really heavy, or if I am repeatedly pulling to clear a flooded saw; then it goes on the ground.

I use the chain brake when starting.

Placing the toe through the rear handle is a challenge, even for people with smaller feet: boots just do not fit through. The flat area under the rear handle is actually a hand guard, to protect users' hands against chain slap, if a chain loop jumps out of the guide bar groove, or breaks. I can get part of a toe on it on the left side. Another option is to place the heel of your boot on the right side, which seems to hold the saw better.

Screen shot 2021-04-27 at 11.26.22 AM.png

Or go electric (!): it's just 'ON' or 'OFF' with the pressing of a switch!

Philbert

Oh yes very dangerous this chainsaw has 220 PSI it is a piece of peace to start

View attachment 903741

Damn you are a brave soul!

The 'between the knees' technique if way more dangerous.

As a career arborist I've started saws thousands of times while in the tree. Had to hang upside down just to get my foot in the handle!

Back