Drop starting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a little top handle saw? Whats the propper way to start them?
Don't have much choice! Top handles are not included in the USFS saw policy and are considered a special purpose arborist saw. If you followed USFS saw policy there is no approved way to start a top handle saw.

We had this question come up in our trail club and the answer came directly from the regional saw program manager.

Don't have much choice! Top handles are not included in the USFS saw policy and are considered a special purpose arborist saw. If you followed USFS saw policy there is no approved way to start a top handle saw.

We had this question come up in our trail club and the answer came directly from the regional saw program manager.
Not even the chain brake on ?

Not even the chain brake on ?
Not covered by the USFS saw policy. Period. Sort of like "Don't ask, Don't tell". I guess that you would have to start it somehow or just use a rear handle saw. Normally you wouldn't find USFS folks climbing trees. They primarily just drop stuff from the ground.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I remember the Poulan 2000 top handle saw manual showing how to start it .
I call it the push pull start . Holding the top handle in your right hand pushing away you pull the rope handle with your left hand .
Scott

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I remember the Poulan 2000 top handle saw manual showing how to start it .
I call it the push pull start . Holding the top handle in your right hand pushing away you pull the rope handle with your left hand .
Scott

Occasionally I drop start, especially if the saw has a decomp valve. But, I discovered a new friend that seems to make things easier. I call it my bucket assistant:
Bucket Assistant.JPGI look for a short round at the drop site to replace this assistant. Standing on the rear handle is not easy for vintage joints like mine and I hate using the ground. The above saw is a 290 upgraded to a 390 and I plugged the decomp. Cheers!

If your boot won't fit through the handle take your boot and sock off.

Also a SAFETY tip. You will not forget this one if it happens to you.
Do not crotch crank a flooded chainsaw with the spark plug out to clear a flooded condition and the spark plug dangling by the plug's hole.
It will spew gas onto your crotch area and the plugs spark will ignite the gas like a flaming dragon. The next part is hitting yourself vigorishly in the testicles trying to put out the fire. (and not passing out before you get the fire under control)
Sure was thankful that no one was around to witness this one.

It’s funny, back in the 70s early 80s my dad and uncle would think nothing of heading out in the woods or wherever with my dads bronco and my uncles D100, probably a few other guys too. Cooler of beer, some Poulans, Macs, and Homelites no chain brakes. No PPE, they’d have laughed at that, dungarees no shirt but workbooks cause they were blue collar. They made it out alive I’m sure how they started the saw never crossed they minds. I’ll say they both wear shirts when they saw now. Me and my cousins heard these stories for years. Not saying it was safe or responsible or good advice! But for them it was a good time!

My .02..... if you don’t have a wife and kids do whatever you want. If you have a family to support and are running unneeded risks, make sure that life and disability insurance is paid up. I saw a lot of both sides of the safety gear debate when I rode sport bikes, after seeing a guy we knew, the loudest complainer that leathers were too hot and impeded mobility, get gravel scrubbed out of a wound a lot of folks started wearing more gear.

They made it out alive
Some did. Maybe all of your relatives, but when you look at the larger picture, and see how many did not, you understand where the rules / regs / best practices / whatever, came from. Even the vehicles that they drove have 'safety improvements' over earlier models, and lack standard things built into today's cars, trucks, SUVs, etc.

(Not sure if the beer is any better, but some of the coolers are!).

Philbert

Some did. Maybe all of your relatives, but when you look at the larger picture, and see how many did not, you understand where the rules / regs / best practices / whatever, came from. Even the vehicles that they drove have 'safety improvements' over earlier models, and lack standard things built into today's cars, trucks, SUVs, etc.

(Not sure if the beer is any better, but some of the coolers are!).

Philbert
God watches over children and fools.

Back to the thread title. I drop started my Husqvarna 257 today by using its decomp. No problem. Then I picked up a vintage 51 with no decomp that likely has a new 55 top end and tried to drop start it. Did it, but dang near tore my arm off my shoulder. I guess guys really like to show they can do it. Years ago we called it chauvinism. What dio they call it today?

Latest posts

Back