Drop starting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which is kind of what I was trying to say back in post #32.
You do not have to use the search feature too hard to figure out some of those against the idea of this unsafe practice of the drop start, have a slightly more vested interest in the field of denying common sense and enforcing safety via written text.
Like all the safety devices on consumer goods that make you do contortions and lose control.

Oh yes very dangerous this chainsaw has 220 PSI it is a piece of peace to start

There’s two ways to drop start a saw the one that has been shown above using your right hand to pull a rope and one where your right hand stays on the pistol grip. Of the two I’d bet the one that your right hand is on the grip and the left hand to pull the rope is safer with this method your pushing the saw away from you as well keeping control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a pro so take this for what you paid for it - I believe the major reason drop starting can be dangerous is because few are taught the technique and what is intuitive to one is not to another, which has little to due with common sense or intelligence. I was never given any formal instruction and what I have learned is mostly from mishaps or near mishaps.

Other than my big saws which are usually started from an elevated support (a modified drop start so to speak - right or left hand pull depending upon the situation), I vary between the locked leg position and right hand pull drop starting for my 20" to 25" bar saws; usually locked leg on a cold saw and drop start on a warm saw. I have learned, however, that placement of my supporting hand is especially important when drop starting to prevent twisting the saw into my leg. Though it may look counter-intuitive the supporting hand placement shown in deye223's video above is the cat's meow in my experience; if I grip as close to the bar centerline as I can the less likely the saw will rotate into my leg. Because I use the decomp, it is easy to get lazy and grip the handle more in the handle's center or even left of the handle's center and then when I forget to use the decomp the saw will rotate the bar into my left thigh due to my supporting hand's position and likely relaxed grip . Hate to say it, but I have had that happen more than once - fortunately in each instance the saw failed to start. Anyone can replicate what I am saying about supporting hand placement; hopefully, those who attempt to do this will have the switch off and chain brake on. I have great respect for the fellow who produced the following video but contrast his control of the saw and its rotation (beginning around 4:40) with the saw control and movement shown in the above video provided by deye223.

It may just be me, but a relaxed grip is more natural than a firm grip and if one doesn't anticipate resistance it is too late to react. For example, IMO the most dangerous tool I own is my Makita 1/2" geared drill. It just wants to break my wrist. After much use and banging, I found the danger was mostly related to my natural grip relaxation as I let off the trigger. I have survived the Makita for years now by conscientiously maintaining a firm grip until the drill has spun down. Same with drop starting, if you don't sufficiently anticipate the resistance the saw may rotate.

As I stated, I had to learn the above the hard way as there seems to be more debate than instruction. The lack of instruction and fear of liability drives much of the arbitrary safety dos and don'ts that are tossed around or mandated, as well as some of the questionable safety devices and add-ons we encounter - again just my opinion.

Ron

Back