Dump trailer issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 500 amp carbon pile load tester. Good or bad I’m not sure but it’s been better than the little heater type ones. Now to get a good multi meter that can measure a hefty amp draw....

I got a 500 amp carbon pile load tester. Good or bad I’m not sure but it’s been better than the little heater type ones. Now to get a good multi meter that can measure a hefty amp draw....

Doesn't the load tester show amperage?

I don't think there is such a thing as a multi meter that measures hefty amp draw. It would have to have some pretty stout cables. Measuring voltage across a known resistance is a good way to measure amperage and that might be the best way to use a multi-meter.

Well, have done a few loads now. After the second load the fuse for the charging from
The trucks 7pin (20a trailer end, truck has a 40 under the hood) in the trailer will blow while dumping. The battery was getting low as you can hear the pump sagging. This after a 20 minute drive between dumps. Back to square one..... I’m gonna put the relay assembly in to disconnect the truck from the trailer while it’s dumping, that will stop the fuse from popping. But obviously the 20 minute drive is not enough time to put much charge back in, but it should do more than 2 loads on a full charge. Group 31 starting battery to go in to give more reserve capacity, if that does not work out it’ll have to be the $650 pill to get a new hydraulic pack.

Well, have done a few loads now. After the second load the fuse for the charging from
The trucks 7pin (20a trailer end, truck has a 40 under the hood) in the trailer will blow while dumping. The battery was getting low as you can hear the pump sagging. This after a 20 minute drive between dumps. Back to square one..... I’m gonna put the relay assembly in to disconnect the truck from the trailer while it’s dumping, that will stop the fuse from popping. But obviously the 20 minute drive is not enough time to put much charge back in, but it should do more than 2 loads on a full charge. Group 31 starting battery to go in to give more reserve capacity, if that does not work out it’ll have to be the $650 pill to get a new hydraulic pack.
In my experience you should be able to dump quite a few loads on a charge. I have had my trailer hooked up to charge off my truck for 12 years and have never replaced the battery or had any other issues. You can also get power packs a lot cheaper than 600 smackers. Ebay has some nice ones for a couple hundos.

I know this is way lest then ideal, but you could do a generator and a battery charger in the bed of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back