• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Dump trailer wouldn't dispose of root balls.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dead in terms of starting an engine, sure. It'll still partially run a pump, like in your scenario. The video I linked the guy was able to draw the battery down to under 7 volts and it was still lifting the (empty) trailer. It was also causing oil to spew out the resevoir on the down cycle which is the only reason I posted it.

I only mentioned it for the 2nd time when you got cranky. I was just trying to make sure you understood a batteries resting voltage doesn't mean much. Most people that understand how batteries function do load tests to verify condition. Didn't think it was that big a deal. Hope you get it fixed.
A 12v battery that drops under 10v under load is fully discharged or needs replacement, operating electric motors, contacts, relays, solenoids etc at lower voltages damages them. If your dumping often then a dedicated power source wired to the trailer battery or reduce your fiber intake.

Dead in terms of starting an engine, sure. It'll still partially run a pump, like in your scenario. The video I linked the guy was able to draw the battery down to under 7 volts and it was still lifting the (empty) trailer. It was also causing oil to spew out the resevoir on the down cycle which is the only reason I posted it.

I only mentioned it for the 2nd time when you got cranky. I was just trying to make sure you understood a batteries resting voltage doesn't mean much. Most people that understand how batteries function do load tests to verify condition. Didn't think it was that big a deal. Hope you get it fixed.
A batteries resting voltage, after charge, tells a great deal. I just tested six batteries a couple minutes ago in terms of voltage, resistance and CCA. 98% of the time all I really need to check is voltage compared to the other 15 batteries.

I guess the guy with a bad battery tends to see bad batteries everywhere.
It showed 7 volts while lifting I would bet. No load at 7 volts would hardly lift a kids wagon.

The hydraulic assembly shows definite signs of previous replacement. The reservoir is absolutely too small by guessing 1.5 gallons.

So....I was right. The reservoir was way too small. I think a 4.5 gallon reservoir may be large enough. Maybe. Nothing wrong with 5 gallons that I know of. Especially when cylinders so often have a pretty small leak that isn't worth messing with.

Wondering about a good use for the old pump and reservoir. Used stuff like that hardly worth messing with.

That is a big trailer but not uncommonly big. I just crossed my pumps part number on the website I linked above and it is only a 3 qt resevoir. I've had between 6 and 7 tons of material in the bed, verified by scales, and not had a problem dumping it. Bought from dealer as a demo only a few months old so I know it's original. The largest hydraulic pump that KTI lists above has a 13 qt resevoir and is 2 ft long.

On my pump there are 2 ports, one is regulated to 1500 psi the other 3200 psi. I think that is a fairly common set up on these little pumps.

Had air in the system after the swap. Took a bit to get the air out it seems. I could hear air being released after the first two bed descents. Not after the third.

Still takes a few seconds to start lifting. Then the lift is pretty rapid. Much faster and quieter than before. And I am down 10 gallons of hydraulic fluid but satisfied overall.

Dump trailers are now getting absolute top dollar. All things roughly equal, a big used dump trailer may sell for as much as a comparable one ton truck - which may have cost 3 times more when new. And trucks are also selling sky high. But not like dump trailers. Watched this auction for example: https://www.truckplanet.com/jsp/s/item/6697554?h=345-21,82692

The dump trailer market has been at least as crazy as vehicle manufacturing, for sure. In 2020 every dump trailer dealer within 4 hours of me had an estimated 6-8 month lead time and wouldn't even give me a number on price. They could tell me what they cost that day and that was all. The honest ones were up front that 6-8 months was a wild guess and could be sooner or much, much later. The slimy dealers were telling me pretty much everything they thought I wanted to hear to get me to put a $500 non refundable deposit on one. I ended up driving almost 300 miles each way to buy a less than 1 year old gently used demo. I paid almost full retail but didn't have any better option. I kept waiting hoping things would straighten out but they just kept getting worse. We are a solid 2+ years into a very strong seller's market. Unfortunately if you have to buy something to replace what you sold your gonna take a bath so I'm not sure there's much of a benefit unless the necessity dictates so.

It is 8 x 4 x 20 with two 10K axles if that answers your question. I pretty well never see dump trailers of this size. The weight can be an issue in steep mountains.
We build ours on the Farm. Find a dead old dump truck at the scrap yard. Drag it home. Torch off the body and fold the frame rails in to a ring hitch. Re-build the cylinder, and the lines go to the back of the Ford 5000.

The dump is for the stumps. The firewood goes on flat-rack wagons, which daisy chain behind the dump trailer. Its a real site on a Sept. evening.....

I got my first dump trailer around 1989 and there were not many around at that time.

They have greatly gained in popularity since.

And rightly so. They make good economic sense.

I like the 12K versions with twin 7k axles and a 6ft x 12ft. bed. Works good for hauling the front end loader, too.

Wet axles would be better than the dry axles I've had but I've never had an axle or bearing failure.

I got my first dump trailer around 1989 and there were not many around at that time.

They have greatly gained in popularity since.

And rightly so. They make good economic sense.

I like the 12K versions with twin 7k axles and a 6ft x 12ft. bed. Works good for hauling the front end loader, too.

Wet axles would be better than the dry axles I've had but I've never had an axle or bearing failure.
Sure would like a loading ramp/s so I could haul the skid steer etc. Unsure what might work.

Either make a set or hit up a local dealer and inquire what a set would cost. Many trailers come with them from the factory and slide right under the bed, secured with a set of hitch pins. They are stout.

20220901_181545.jpg20220901_181534.jpg

I got sick of dealing with issues with those power packs and battery issues on my 10 ton dump trailer. Replaced the system with a larger reservoir, a Honda engine, new pump and a valve. I will tell you all of the frustration from a slow and weak system disappeared. Most of the parts were found at Surplus Center. I think I ended up with about $700 in the conversion. Although I've sold the trailer and moved to a tri-axle dump truck, I'd never buy an electrically operated system again.

As far as reservoir size, it's funny that these electric trailer setups come with the bare minimum that is "supposed" to work. However, when you look at a dump truck or basically any other equipment that uses hydraulic power, the reservoirs are much, much larger than what it takes to actually move the cylinders.

Latest posts

Back