Durability check on the MS500 and MS462 how are they holding up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldsawnut

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So I have been on the fence about buying either the 462 or 500 for a while now.... Both seem to be well reviewed saws. I'm looking for opinions on how well the hold up to abuse and long term dependability... I prefer to work on my saws and don't really want to buy any expensive diagnostic equipment. I have had luck with the mtronic saws I have but perhaps the injection is more dependable long run. Not worried about the price difference and don't really need either. I do like my saws to work when I need them. So who out there has really seen these saws put through the ringer. BTW I really don't like primer bulbs but its not a deal killer either. I'm sure some TS500 owners might be able to chime in and perhaps someone who can say they do in fact share the majority of primary parts. Again I am mainly interested in dependability and ease of maintenance.

Thanks,
John

I don't use mine professionally, but I know a couple of guys that have been running the 462 daily at their tree removals and they love them. 3 of them that I know of. All of them have been around a bit over a year at this point and I don't know of any of them going down so far. Lots of mid-sized bucking. In tree work on big spars. They still run the 661's on the real big stuff, but anything that a 28" bar can handle, they pretty much run the 462's.

Not myself but one of the guys on my fire crew, he has ran a 462c for about 18ish months by now and has about 125 +/- hours on it. We had a pretty killer fire season here in California last summer and we ran that saw into and through the dirt, still held up fine. Biggest thing is my guy knows what he’s doing and how to maintain a saw. We just got a 500i but it probably has 10 hours on it so not much to say about that one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help much on the 500 but have ran my 462 a good bit. All just firewood cutting but lots of noodling. Only issue I had was on a real hot day and ran out of fuel I had a hard start issue but that might have been my fault for not catching it before I ran out. Only running a 20" bar on it.

Curious how the 500i would handle the dirty cutting in burned wildfire conditions and how the air filtration holds up vs the 462.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A few guys I know are cutting with the 500’s out in the burn haven’t had an issue or failure as of yet.

Curious how the 500i would handle the dirty cutting in burned wildfire conditions and how the air filtration holds up vs the 462.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

For the little amount of time we’ve ran the 500 (tree felling, not fire line cutting yet) we’ve noticed some super fine materials do seem to be getting past the filter on it. Possibly our fault for not securing the filter properly? I’ve seen people use the 661 max flow filters pretty successfully, might give that a go.

Can't help much on the 500 but have ran my 462 a good bit. All just firewood cutting but lots of noodling. Only issue I had was on a real hot day and ran out of fuel I had a hard start issue but that might have been my fault for not catching it before I ran out. Only running a 20" bar on it.
Thats a winter gas issue i think you had.

It was early August. Fuel doesn't stay around here that long. I was noodling and might have ran it pretty low trying to finish a cut.
Well maybe the gas was old when you bought it, with Covid now its been sitting a lot because people are driving less? Or something like that.

My 500i has been flawless with daily use. Same with two other firms I know that run them. Mine has already earned its money and even if it went pop tomorrow it wouldn’t matter. I think it’s going to run and run though

LoL that's funny they are both just too good. I keep waiting for someone to say anything negative about one or the other but you just don't hear much about failures or annoying quirks of either.

Does anyone ever just prime the bulb a couple times in the morning or do you always do it all 8? on the 500

LoL that's funny they are both just too good. I keep waiting for someone to say anything negative about one or the other but you just don't hear much about failures or annoying quirks of either.

We did have one 462c that ran for a couple hours then just wouldn’t start again, turns out the carb had an issue. So technically not the saw lol.

Latest posts

Back