During Storm Clean Up Today....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apn73

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's another plug for chainsaw safety chaps, and these pictures are of me and my mishap. I was darn lucky, this could have been a trip to the emergency room had I only been wearing denim. I always try to wear them, but sometimes I can be lazy and say to myself "I'm only making a few cuts." Well, it happened to me and I got to watch safety chaps in action, and now I'm a true believer. I was in a snarl of downed tree limbs, thick, all around me, and had a momentary lapse of concentration. It also didn't help that I was fatigued and overheated out in the Virginia heat and humidity. It happened in an instant, faster than I could react to, but the nylon outer shell and ENGTEX fibers of those chaps just flew apart. I've read and seen videos about how effective they are, but those ENGTEX fibers jammed that saw chain to a stop and it was almost instant, text book. I havent logged as many hours with a chainsaw as many of you, but I've got more hours than most Americans and think of myself as safety minded, so this can happen to anyone. I know that this has touched off debate in the past, but if you don't have a pair of these, please get some, you could be as lucky as me.
Best,
Adam.20200804_124833.jpg20200804_124851.jpg20200804_130028.jpg20200804_130259.jpg

Yep, been there done that got the T-shirt. I started wearing chaps just on bigger jobs of storm cleanup, and am a believer too now. I've nicked mine a few times, mostly because the chaps stick out a lot further than jeans, but once it got enough into it that it stopped the chain cold (it was going slowly still) and wrapped all up in the sprocket. Just the smallest nick pulled the threads way out.

Either way, worth it and I'm due for another pair, hopefully that fit better and are more slender on the leg.... got a few small nicks that I've stitched closed for the time being, very little loss of the threads, but just to keep the shell together.

As for the bar sprocket.... dunno what to tell ya except to try to pull every little thread out. Maybe use a small piece of wire to dig them out, but if it's a replaceable sprocket, might have to take out those rivets and re-do it all

Edit: looking back, mine are WoodlandPro chaps bought in 2015. Apparently they are made by or sold by Bailey's

I have a protege that I insisted wear mine, and within ten minutes, he snagged them. He was fine, didn't need to tear the saw down, and he learned to slow down cutting small saplings and bucking. A week later, he learned again, to use the chain brake when walking from place to place. I wear them every time, no questions asked. I live in Florida, so even when wearing shorts because of the heat, I have my chaps on.

Stihl ProMark with 9 layers of ENGTEX, and they're 13 years old. I'm thinking about buying a pair of Labonvilles, but I can't knock these, they did their job perfectly.
Glad your ok. Not sure on how to clean your bar but possibly use a torch and try and melt the fibers out. If not I guess a new bar which is cheaper than the trip to the hospital. Keep us posted I if you figure out how to clean the bar.

Had something similar happen 2 years ago when cleaning up some brush. Chain was coasting to a stop after a cut when I lowered the saw (was at chest level) to move to a different spot. Barely felt the chain grab the chaps, and it only got the outer layer and not the fibers. Certainly solidified my decision to always wear them since that could have easily went through my jeans and cut my leg. Stitched these back together by hand.

damaged chaps.JPG

Thanks Philbert, I'll give this a try. I was little bumbed about it, that Tsumura guide bar only has a few hours on it. But....I'll sacrifice a sprocket tip for a trip to the hospital every time.:yes::chainsaw:

I’ve got a nice scar in the exact place of the damage to your chaps. It took 24 stitches to close it up , lucky there was no damage to the bone or nerves. My wife ordered my chaps that night when we got home from the hospital lol.

Even if he does need to buy a new nose sprocket, or bar for that matter, a new bar and new chaps still beats the hell out of the emergency room visit and the resulting rehab that would follow. Thankfully I have never experienced it, but I can't imagine that a major injury to a joint (knee in this case) is an easy recovery.

If anyone gives you any guff about wearing chaps, show them my boo-boo from 2016. If that’s not enough, I have a pic of the open wound in the ER for them.

This was from just touching my knee with a saw coasting down out of a cut, about 20’ up a tree. Barely felt it, in that moment. Frankly, I was exhausted, and failed to properly control my saw. Ironically, I had planned to go buy chaps after finishing this tree.

Expensive and painful lesson, that turned out vastly better that it could have. Thinking back on it, some of the other possible outcomes still scare the hell out of me.

Better believe I’m a believer in wearing chaps, after this. F4BA062B-4B87-4C02-9E60-6E739A047AC2.jpeg
(I have closer shots, but didn’t want to make anyone sick.)

Back