During Storm Clean Up Today....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and another thing, have any of you had any luck removing ENGTEX or Kevlar from a sprocket tip? I tried earlier, and that sprocket is bound....
I bought a 372 on Ebay that had what looked like fishing line all around the sprocket, binding it up some. I surmised it was burned chap fiber. I later contacted the seller who admitted that it was chap fiber. It picked out pretty easily.

If anyone gives you any guff about wearing chaps, show them my boo-boo from 2016. If that’s not enough, I have a pic of the open wound in the ER for them.

This was from just touching my knee with a saw coasting down out of a cut, about 20’ up a tree. Barely felt it, in that moment. Frankly, I was exhausted, and failed to properly control my saw. Ironically, I had planned to go buy chaps after finishing this tree.

Expensive and painful lesson, that turned out vastly better that it could have. Thinking back on it, some of the other possible outcomes still scare the hell out of me.

Better believe I’m a believer in wearing chaps, after this.
Wow WDG, that is a nasty looking wound! I don't want to see it before the stitches, but I bet it was grotesque. I shall, keep this photo at the ready as an object lesson in why one should wear chaps. Had I been wearing just denim, I think my injury would have been very similar.

I purchased my sons all the safety gear, helmet with shields and ear protection plus chaps. Safety first.

Now treat yourself to a nice new clean pair. Those have served their purpose.
They may not work as well next time.
I should receive the new pair tomorrow, Husqvarna technical wrap chaps this time around, amazon had a price on the 40-42" long chaps that I couldn't pass on. I've also got a new forestry helmet coming, definitely learning my lesson from this incident and will don the proper PPE every time I fire up the saw;)

I bought a 372 on Ebay that had what looked like fishing line all around the sprocket, binding it up some. I surmised it was burned chap fiber. I later contacted the seller who admitted that it was chap fiber. It picked out pretty easily.
I tried that first, was hoping that it was going to be simple, but no joy. I've got to drive the rivets out, and it will be interesting to see how much of fibers is causing it to jam.

I bought a 372 on Ebay that had what looked like fishing line all around the sprocket, binding it up some. I surmised it was burned chap fiber. . . . It picked out pretty easily.
There are different types of fibers used. You might have gotten lucky.

The first nose sprocket rescue I performed, was for a piece of common string that my neighbor’s electric saw picked up somewhere.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back